Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    22tango Guest

Default Hmmm...should I get one? or wait for the next baby??

I tried using a sling when Karenna was small and found it quite uncomfortable. She (& I) both ended up using the Baby Bjorn instead. Now that she's far too big for it, I'm getting sore just carrying her about in my arms (sometimes it's a hassel to get out the stroller, YKWIM??) I'm debating getting another sling...perhaps a pouch since the simple cotton ring sling didn't work well for us before. But now that she's almost 15 months old and 20 lbs, I'm not sure I should. Maybe I should just wait for the next baby??

If there's still life in a sling for toddlers, then which sling might work best for us?? TIA!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Hmmm...should I get one? or wait for the next baby??

Well, I still sling my 2 1/2 year old. Its invaluable for those times when she wants to be carried which she still does on occasion. I prefer a pouch style sling, that way I can keep it folded up and handy in the bottom of the diaper bag just in case.

What type of sling did you have? And if there's anyone nearby that can show you how to use it, that makes a world of difference.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 6 month old is 18 lbs and I can sling him with no problem. What kind of sling did you try? My ring sling hurt at first and I realized (with zen_bliss's help) that I was not wrapping the pleated part around my shoulder enough. And when I first tried my Mom & Me puch, I had it too loose, which also hurt my back, but once I tightened it up, no back pain. I cannot bear to use the Bjorn now that I've used the slings - the baby kind of dangles off of you and away from you with a Bjorn, but a good sling pulls the baby toward you.

I can't speak to the toddler part, not there yet!
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've actually been using my slings MORE lately! Colin is walking all over the place, and isn't tolerating the stroller as well as he used to (it's more fun to push it himself than ride, ya know), so I'm carrying him more often. And at 22 squirmy pounds, my arms can't quite take it. So I've been grabbing a sling when we head out, and it has been working great!

I have a Mom & Me pouch, KKAFP, Zolowear sling, and a ring sling from Rev. Jan, and like all four for slightly different reasons. If I had to pick only one, it would be the Zolo. If I was on a strict budget and had to pick one, I'd pick Rev. Jan's sling. I really like the infinite adjustability of the ring slings, although the pouches are nice and easy, too (and snuggly warm in the winter)!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

kensjen Guest

ITA with everything Lori said. Although my baby is only 4 months old, he is already over 17 pounds, so I do love the slings! I also would choose the zolo if I could only choose one, but it is pricey. Ring slings are just so much more adjustable, something I think would be important for a toddler.

I would definitely try something out, you still have "sling time". :)

Calmegja2 Guest

Absolutely.

My 19 month old gets carried all the time, and my 4 year still asks for a "lift in the sling", when she's tired and we're out. I can't carry her as long as I carry the baby, but she can still hitch a ride.

22tango Guest

The sling I have is no-name cotton ring sling. It doesn't have pleats or a shoulder cap. I've watched the online videos & seen pictures countless times. I'm pretty sure I'm wearing it right except it really won't go "over" my shoulder...it sits on top and will tend to cut into my neck. Adjusting it is a pain...it seems either too tight or too lose (esp. the edges). I'm thinking something simpler with rails to make it more comfortable for Karenna when in the hip carry would be worth trying.

Although I DROOL over the Zolo's...and wonder whether the pleats would really help it hang on my shoulder (and it's too pricey for me to really consider.) I'm leaning more to a warm fleecy pouch. Seems simpler, and some of the ones people here are liking (such as the M&M Pea in Pod) sound intriguing. Would that work for us??

Yep, either the Mom & Me or the KKAFP would work great for you - I have both and use them both quite a bit in the hip carry position!
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I assure you that the shoulder cap makes a HUGE difference. Both the Maya and the Zolo have very nice shoulder design, with some people preferring one over the other. The shoulder on the Rev. Jan sling is also supposed to be very comfy but I have not tried one personally. (Lori?)

But honestly, there is no beating the simplicity and ease of a pouch style sling. And with the adjustable ones there is no need to worry so much about getting the perfect size.

FYI, I got my Maya used on eBay for $25. It looked brand new.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Rev. Jan's shoulder design is almost as nice as the Zolo design, and only a third of the price (of a cotton Zolo). I haven't tried any other ring slings than those two, though, so I can't compare it to anything else.
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast