Default Baby likes sling but always sleeps

My 6 week-old ds (gestational/conceptional age is only 2 weeks) seems really comfortable in my KK fleece pouch. I'm finding it really useful while I prepare lunch for my toddler and when little ds is fussy. I've noticed that he goes to sleep almost immediately after being put in the sling and will stay asleep until he is hungry again. Is this people's experience with their really young babies and this type of sling? It must really feel like a "return to womb" experience for him to go to sleep so quickly. I am not really concerned about this--I know he must feel nice and safe and cozy. However, I wonder if it could take away from his awake/alert time to use the sling for my convenience (i.e., when I need to do something for myself or my toddler and need hands free and not when he is sleepy).

How old are babies before they typically can be awake and enjoy the close time with mom (or dad) in a sling?

How long do you leave your young babies in a sling if they are comfortable?

Thanks,

Lisa
    & Jack, 4/20/01
    & Joshua (my cuddle bug), 11/16/03

parkersmama Guest

Default RE: Baby likes sling but always sleeps

That was pretty much my same experience. Actually, we called the KKAFP my "magic pouch" when Amy Grace was a tiny one because no matter how fussy she was, plop her into the sling and she was out in minutes! I think that carrying him around in the sling as much as you want to is fine. Babies at his age get so much from just snuggling up with you and learning your feel, smell, voice, etc. Obviously, you want to have some alert time with him but when it gets right down to it, he's happier in the pouch so give him what he craves! Have you read The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp? Dr. Karp has a theory that human babies are ejected from the womb 3 months too early and that happy babies are the ones who are "treated" to a 4th trimester. This means creating a womblike environment as much as possible. I didn't do this with my first two but did with my third and she was a happier baby in every way! HTH!

toomanystrollers Guest

I also have a "magic pouch" like Denise. FWIW, Neve would zonk out in mine almost instantly. I wouldn't worry about having Joshua in there too long. I used to be able to lay Neve in her pack 'n play and slip the pouch off at the same time so she could have a snooze and I could get some stuff done.

Now at 6 months, she enjoys riding along in her pouch while we shop or play outside with her big brother and sister. She hardly naps in her pouch now.

HTH

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

He is enjoying the close-to-parent time in the sling! I didn't sling Nathaniel that early, but he was also a premie and he slept most of the time when he was that age -- usually in our arms.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

hmmm. Everytime I put little Isabella (8 weeks) in the pouch she usually cries. What am I doing wrong? My husband actually has much better luck but sometimes it takes him a while to get her settled. It rarely works for me. Anyone else have this experience?

jec2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

how long have you been trying? i know w/ds we had to try quite a few times, to get where ds would he'd be ok. Plus we had to gradually work up the length of time he'd be ok in the sling before cring until one day when he slept for about 2 hours! Also, Ds had to be moving. So, we'd put him in and then get outside and take a spin around the block. This eventually put him to sleep. so, i'd say just keep tryng and keep moving. Also, we had to start this all over again when we introduced the bjorn. It seems that he had gotten used to the pouch but then had to then adjust to a different carrier. HTH.
    Juliet, mama to DS 10/03 & DS 11/06