Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    sdbc Guest

Default poll: which do you prefer baby bjorn (front carrier) or sling

I've heard a lot of mothers saying recently that slings are better, but they seem so much more complicated to me and they seem like baby could fall out! Please tell me which you prefer (front carrier or sling) and why.

Thanks!

Sue

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: poll: which do you prefer baby bjorn (front carrier) or sling

Sling, hands down. The front carrier is such an unnatural position for a newborn, so much pressure on their hips and spine. Colin could never get comfy in the Bjorn, and neither could we. I've never felt like Colin was at risk of falling out of any of our carriers.

The sling is MUCH MUCH easier on my back, and Colin likes it much better. And newborns look so cozy and snuggly in them!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

parkersmama Guest

Sling (pouch)!! They are so much more versatile than the Bjorn or other front carriers. They are also more comfy and you don't get as tired as quickly. You can carry a heavier baby with no problems and well into toddlerhood. Once you learn how to do it, I think they are very safe and the baby is in little danger of falling out. I always worried with the Bjorn that one of the clips would break and the baby would fall.

My response is biased since I don't even own a bjorn style carrier, but I have to say slings for sure. When used correctly they are just as - if not more - safe as a carrier. They are much more natural for baby and mom (cradle position), more versatile (can use with a toddler, can nurse in one, many different positions) and are better for baby. Carriers put a lot of stress on the baby's spine and hips/groin. I thought it would be hard to use but when I saw the bjorn with all it's clips and buttons I thought, "You've GOT to be kidding me!" There is definitely a learning curve with slings and pouches, but once you learn it is so easy!

Definitely slings/pouches!

Edit to fix typos :)
    Lynne
    Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

cinrein Guest

I used to think the Bjorn was great because at first that was all I had. Anna loved being in it and I found it comfy to wear.

Unfortunately, our Bjorn days did not last long as she grew very quickly and carrying her in the Bjorn hurt by back. I then graduated to ring slings and pouch slings. They just look complicated because you haven't tried them. A pouch sling is easier to get on than the Bjorn, IMO. Plus, you will be able to carry your baby/toddler in a ring or pouch sling much longer than the Bjorn.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

lizamann Guest

Slings, for all the reasons already mentioned. PLUS they can be used as fashion accessories - you can get them to coordinate with your wardrobe!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Slings, hands down! I had a Bjorn and liked it OK, but when I had to stop using it when she was 8/9 months, I discovered slings!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sweetbasil Guest

Slings/pouches for sure. My bjorn-style carrier for DS#1 got maybe 3 days of use, and I can't count how many times I've used my slings. I have 2 now, and DH got me the black Zolo silk for Valentine's Day a little early, before their sale ended. I sold my old carrier on eBay and haven't missed it a bit!

sarahfran Guest

I'll be a vote for the minority here. I received both as shower gifts. My son and I both loved the Bjorn. He was colicky and was happiest when I wore him, so I wore him for hours on end as we walked around the neighborhood. I never got the hang of the sling--I found the weight on my shoulder too much, and Dylan didn't like being hunched up in a ball. Perhaps it was user error on my part, but i found that his weight was much more comfortably distributed with the Bjorn.

That said, everyone on this board is so adamant about the sling that I have to believe I probably didn't know what I was doing with using it.

heidi_timms Guest

I did like my bjorn until my baby got a little bit bigger. I now use a pouch sling and wish I would have used that the first few months instead of the bjorn.

If you decide that you want a bjorn I would check consignment stores, garage sales or at a baby sale. I got mine for $2 at a garage sale so when I didn't use it for long I didn't feel bad. I've heard that so many end up in consignment stores because people can't use them for long and they look almost new!

I really like my pouch sling. Jen at Mom and me makes a really comfy one! You should them check out:

http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/Index.html

~Heidi
    Mom to Kailey Ashlin
    4/27/03

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast