Default Mom and Me sling in hip carry help

So I have been practicing for a few days with my Mom and Me pouch and it has defintely been stretching out but now I have some questions:

Since her site has some pics of snaps on the shoulder and snaps down the back, what is the right way or does it depend on the seam? They are right behind my shoulder when the seam is centered on Ryan's tush in the hip carry.

He is so squirmy it is really tough to get him in to the hip carry since he keeps trying to stand in it. I feel dumb about this but until yesterday, I had him sitting on the pouch instead of his butt actually in the pouch. Tips on how to get him in without having to unsnap it?

He likes to lean backwards and the top rail (is that right?) is not snug against me like the girl in the picture. Do I tighten? How would I ever get his feet in if I did that?

Is this picture on her site the way everyone looks in the hip carry with their child?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2460.jpg
    Mom to R and R

Default RE: Mom and Me sling in hip carry help

I have a KKAFP but I think it is really similar.

When I do hip carry the snaps are on my shouldar and the seam on Noah's tush.

What I do is toss DS over my shouldar. Lower him down BEHIND the pouch. Pull the inner rail of the sling down and under his knees. Pull the top rail up over his back. I spread his legs up and out so he is straddling my side and his knees are above his butt. I pull the excess fabric up and spread it evenly over his back and make sure that rail is under behind his knees so he doesn't get any red marks. I like to have his arms in the pouch though I'm sure when he gets older he won't tolerate that :)

Does that make sense at all?? Maybe someone else could explain it better.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This is what I do too.

If you go to www.hotslings.com and click on "How To" on the sidebar, she has good pictures for getting a toddler into a pouch style sling.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

suribear Guest

After a few tries, I finally got it right today. Try tightening it! He should be snug against you. Also pull the bottom of the pouch out to the backs of his knees and pull the top rail as high as is comfortable for you.
    I put ds close to me and pull the fabric over his head, then I plop his butt into it and adjust it. It's really easy once you get the hang of it, though I think that picture is a text book case LOL Mine isn't quite that neat yet. Make sure it isn't twisted, esp. in the back.

The first few times I wore it, it was too loose (I had to exchange for a smaller one) and felt weird. Now it's great!

Kris

Boy did Kristen change her site around! I haven't been on in months I guess.

I'll try tomorrow to throw him over the shoulder a little higher before I attempt to get him in and see if that helps. I think I will adjust it so that it fits tighter once he is in.

Mom to R and R