Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

Default WATER MESH SLINGS- anyone have one

I never hear mention of them, Zolo sells one and I am tempted to get it for the beach I can Tristan in the water with it maybe...
    Any ideas, thoughts, recommendations!!!!
    Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: WATER MESH SLINGS- anyone have one

I have one and love it. The one on the Zolo site is actually made by Taylor Made Treasures (www.taylormadetreasures.com), which is actually the one I have.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

lizamann Guest

I recommend a Solarveil sling instead. It is much more versatile. You can ONLY wear a mesh water sling in the water, whereas a Solarveil can be worn like a regular sling as well as the water/shower. Plus you get the UV protection. I used mine last year as a sun shade on the stroller, a carrier, a "sarong" over my bathing suit...

Several manufacturers make them, Kangaroo Korner has them on sale right now for something like $22. While supplies last!

HTH!

ZoloWear Guest

Default My opionion on water mesh vs. solarveil

I have the KK solarveil in red, the new TMT solarveil (available only in khaki), and the TMT water mesh. I have not used them extensively because Clark is only a month old, but here are my initial impressions.

If you have a newborn, I think it would be worth it to get both. The water mesh is inexpensive and so much softer than the solarveil. I really prefer the water mesh for showering with my newborn.

However, if you have an older toddler like Tristan, or if you can only afford one, I agree the solarveil is a better choice. You can use it in the shower AND you get the sun protective properties at the pool. I love the idea of the solarveil, but it's so scratchy. I'm just not crazy about the way it feels. So I reach for the water mesh when I'm showering my newborn. I'll probably use solarveil this summer at the pool.

If you can only afford one sling period, the solarveil is not a bad choice. It doesn't have bells & whistles like pockets (at least I don't know of any brands that do), but it is lightweight and flexible.

For example, I like using the Solarveil like a blanket to block the sun without adding heat. Last September we attended the Austin City Limits music festival with my then 3.5 yo dd. She preferred the stroller to the sling that day, so we unthreadded the KK solarveil and draped it over the stroller. Voila - instant sun shade. A cotton sling would have blocked my dd's view, but the solarveil let in light and air while keeping her from getting sunburned.

TMT does offer the solarveil now, but only in the khaki, which is not the best color on (my) pale, freckled skin. With pale skin in a swimsuit, the KK red or the TMT water mesh in blue are more flattering.

I have not used the KK or the TMT enough to compare shoulder styles.

HTH,

Darien

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

if you do decide to go with a solarveil, rev jan makes one with an optional pocket, which of course brings the price up a tad, but might be handy if you want to use it for a walk on the beach and keep your keys/money with you. at least that's what i am thinking. of course, now the soft mesh water one sounds nice, too.... of course, this baby probably won't even like slings, so everyone keep their eyes on the swap boards come may/june !!

Hi Neve,

I made a simple ring sling (similar to my zolo) with some solarveil fabric - and I must admit, I haven't used it too much. I think we'll use it this summer - and we did use it in the shower once. I think it's a great idea! I like that I can use the solarviel as a sunshade as well.

Amy

PookaMama Guest

Default RE: My opionion on water mesh vs. solarveil

I agree with Darien about the Solarveil being a little scratchy, but I wanted to chime in and say I have noticed mine has gotten much softer with washing. My well loved solarveil sling is not nearly as "nubby" as it was when it started it's life as a sling. Three or four rounds through the washing machine will make a big difference.

And even if you don't get a solarveil sling, you should get your hands on a couple yards to use as a blanket/cover/shade/etc. It really is perfect for so many uses.

signsing Guest

Where did you get your solarveil fabric?

Betsey
    Buddy's Mamma 6-10-2003

joannect Guest

You can buy the solarveil fabric directly from solarveil at

http://www.solarveil.com/home.asp

they have several colors (red, yellow and navy) on clearance $4 a yard.

Joanne
    Proud mama to Joshua aka Mr. Fussy Britches 1/30/04

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

do you think the fabric could be made into a coverup or something. i don't sew, but my sister does, and if the fabric isn't too scratchy after a few washings, maybe she could put together a little beach romper or something for my two year old. (aren't i nice to volunteer her to make me things...) or maybe i could learn how to use a sewing machine. ha. anyway, just curious, if anyone knows...

thanks

lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast