aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default KKAFP sizing problem?

Hello – I’ve been a lurker on these boards for a few months now and have finally decided to come out of the woodwork for help with the KKAFP which I ordered based on all of the positive reviews that I'd read here. I really expected to like it but haven’t and think that the problem may partly be the size. When I put the pouch on for the tummy-to-tummy carry in order for the center seam to be straight up and down then I have to pull the top so it’s resting almost entirely on my upper arm rather than on my shoulder. When the front seam is centered, then the snaps rest over my shoulder blade rather then in the middle of my back like the instructions describe. My baby tends to start tilting to one side or the other. Is this a user error or a sizing problem? I have a medium. Pre-pregnancy, I overlapped the small and medium size ranges. I double-checked with Tanya, and she assured me that I should go with the medium, especially since I’m somewhat tall (5’7”). According to my post-pregnancy measurements then I should only be in the medium. However, before I put the baby in the pouch, it seems to be rather loose even snapped on its tightest setting. Am I doing something wrong? Would a different position be better - we've only tried the tummy to tummy. My baby is 3 ½ months old, about 15 pounds and has good head control. He doesn’t seem to like being confined in the pouch, but by now it’s too late to return or exchange it. Thanks for any help that you can give me!
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: KKAFP sizing problem?

If it is that loose when you snap it on empty, it is definitely too big for you. Even though it is too late for a return, would Tanya add an extra row or two of snaps for you?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for answering - I'll contact her and see what she says.
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

Heidi, I second asking Tanya to add an extra row of snaps. I dragged my heels on this one for ages thinking that it was probably that I just didn't really like the pouch, but it turned out that the size was wrong for me. I fell into the size range for the large, but it always felt a little too loose once I lost the initial preg weight and like DD was sinking in the front and wobbling around... but once Tanya added the extra row of snaps, it was MUCH more comfortable and now I love this pouch! Adding the extra row of snaps made it the equivalent of a Medium snapped on the loosest setting. So adding an extra row to yours would probably make it the equiv of a Small on the loosest setting. I think it only cost like $4 to add the extra row plus shipping back and forth!

HTH!