Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default carrier suggestions

Hi all,
    DD is almost 6 months old and ~16lbs. She loves riding around in the Bjorn. However, this is on loan and my friend's second child is due in a couple of months, so we will be giving this back soon. I don't really want to spend $90 for another Bjorn at this stage in the game. I know there are a lot of similar looking, less expensive ones on the market and would love to hear any suggestions or comments you might have.

Thanks for your help!

Sunny

yitlan Guest

Default RE: carrier suggestions

I don't know about the other Bjorn-like carriers, but I know you can use a wrap sling to carry baby similarly. You would also be able to use it for other holds, including a back carry position.

[link:www.cafewed.com|Cafe Wed - Tasteful Wedding Finds]
    An Authorized DBS Rep

[link:www.sign2speak.com|Sign2Speak - Helping Babies Sign Before They Can Speak]

lfp2n is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had an Evenflo Snugli and a Bjorn. The Bjorn looked much cooler and is easier to get on but when DD was bigger I started using the Snugli as its bigger inside and has more back support so it easier to carry a heavier baby. I assume its cheaper than a BB but I didn't buy either myself.

Lucy

mommd Guest

Well, there are so many carriers out there, maybe if you tell us more we can help you better! So, what is it you like about the Bjorn? What positions would you like to carry her in (front facing in, back, hip, etc)? Do you want a more structured carrier or will a wrap carrier work for you? Also, what do you primarily use the carrier for (shopping, housework)? Sorry so many questions, just want to help as much as possible!

Thanks for the questions! About the Bjorn...I like having both hands free...DD likes facing out to see everything. I wear it some around the house and frequently when shopping or running other errands. Also, my grandmother lives with us and when the 3 of us go out, I have to be able to push a wheelchair, so the Bjorn has been great for this. (I'm thinking of creating a tandem wheelchair/stroller! LOL!) I'm not sure I could use a wrap or sling in quite the same way, but I'm open to suggestions. So far I haven't really had any back problems, though I know this is more likely as her weight increases, so I am trying to think ahead on that count too.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks! I will look into it!

Thanks for your comments on the snugli. The Bjorn is easy to get on and off, but there is a significant price difference, so I will check it out. Hopefully I will have time this weekend to check out a couple of consignment stores too.

Thanks!

mommd Guest

I have a hug-a-bub, which is a wrap carrier, and I can carry DD in same positions as the Bjorn, but it is ALOT more comfortable. A Moby wrap is very similar and cheaper. I also have a Kozy (www.kozycarrier.com), but I just got this so I can't really review it yet. This works for front and back carries. You might want to check out www.thebabywearer.com for reviews of different carriers to see what might work for you. Good luck! :)

PookaMama Guest

I think a Moby Wrap or Hug-a-Bub would be a great option for you; certainly the best option for the front-facing-out in my opinion. As the previous poster said, the Moby Wrap is much less expensive if price is a concern for you.

You also might want to think of something that will give allow you to do a comfortable back carry. I imagine carrying your daughter will continue to be the most convenient for you when walking with your grandmother, and soon she will be too heavy/big for the front-facing-out carries. Something like the Ergo or Kozy Carrier would be great. (You can use both of these in the front as well, but they really shine for back carries.) The Ergo adjusts with buckles and will be more similar to what you're used to with the Bjorn, but the Kozy is more versatile because it's so unstructured.

Good luck, and happy shopping!

joannect Guest

I second the Hug a Bub! I recently got one and DS and I both LOVE it. It's really comfortable and not hard to get the hang of. It is pricy though $85. I've heard the Moby wrap is comparable (not quite as tailored though) and it's only $30-$35.

I know not everyone likes the look of the wrap carriers. So if it's not for you and you really like the Bjorn then take a look at a Theordore Bean carrier. Nearly identical to the Bjorn (I've heard it's more comfortable) but 1/2 the price. I have one and it's OK- I really prefer my Hug a Bub.

http://www.theodorebean.com/

HTH :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast