Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    toomanystrollers Guest

Default JEN & SAMUEL - what can we do????????

Ok mamas, what can we do to help? Any ideas?? Any BBB members in her surrounding area (South Prairie, WA) that could assist in any deliveries?

pritchettzoo Guest

Default RE: JEN & SAMUEL - what can we do????????

I just read a post over at MDC about sending the "good" disposables to her since her son will need them for chemo. If there's someone in the area who'd be willing to take paypal donations and then buy the diapers (or food or...) and take them over, that might be helpful.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

I'm sending huge thoughts, prayers and healing vibes her way!!!!

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal Guest

Gosh.. that is terrible news. I was just thinking of buying my first MnM pouch the other day. Is there a way to mail the dispies, incase nobody lives close by? Or since the MDC folk are sending her dispies, could we at BBB send something else that would be useful? How about some yummy food for her son? You know, those pre-packaged, one cup for one meal kinds?? How old is her son? Maybe he is too old for baby food?

toomanystrollers Guest

Ok, over at MDC - someone mentioned www.schwans.com delivers to Jen's area and I found an Albertson's in the nearby area. I'm waiting to hear from Jen's list about their food preferences (vegatarian or not) and then I'm hoping to send something off to them.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Honestly, if we are going to do anything, I'd just send them money. Or American Express gift checks (which can be used anywhere). With Jen unable to work (or working less) and the doctor/hospital bills (insurance deductibles/co-pays, whatever), they may be pretty strapped for a while. If we send them some money, they can use it wherever it is needed.

JMHO!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

My suggestion is for everyone to go out and register to be a bone marrow donor!!!!!! Which not only "helps" leukemia patients it actually can restore their life 100%.Sorry typing one handed....but this involves little when I went on the registry I went to a local high school in MD and I think was interviewed (educated) and I donated a sample of blood. I have spoken with the registry since and now they have more matching abilities then back then.
    I have always felt I would be a bone marrow donor sine I was a teen....

I don't know I think it is awesome for our community to come out and help folks and stuff so I am not disuading folks from doing something financial in the least. But I know several are active in many groups and might not feel like financially they can give for the so many tragic situations that we all see happen to our friends, family and selves....But I know in my case I am active in many circles....a neighborhood of 800 plus homes, bunco, garden club, wine club, mommy groups, supper club,this community, my adoption communities and then you add friends, hubby's work and family there are a lot of folks to collect for for joyeous events and then sad ones. I think collections are great for those who chose to do that but wanted to give another example of a huge gift that one can give in honor of a family as well...

I hope this is not mistaken for my intention, for I wrote a very similiar response but so much better written about a year ago that said almost the same thing and it blew up to be ugly...so I almost didn't post this but I do think it nice to offer another gift suggestion that all can participate in if they chose.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone here as we see our dear friends have bumps in the road that it is hard for me to pick and chose when and where and what to participate in...here and in life in general.

I have thought about Jen and her family all day ...and am just crushed they have to go thru this...but am optimistic and full of prayers for them.

Neve
    http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
    AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
    and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
    Feb 25, 2003
    Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

papal Guest

Neve, this is indeed a very good idea. I had no idea that anyone can become a bone marrow donor (like for blood)... i thought you had to be related to the person. Thanks for the suggestion.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When someone needs a bone marrow transplant (BMT), family members are screened first. But if a perfect match (scored on a scale of 10) isn't found within the family, they may go to the national bone marrow registry since a "10" significantly increases the chance of the BMT "taking". I know a few people who have registered but have never been called; the chances are pretty slim, but if you are called, it is a pretty simple way to save someone's life.

DH is a bone marrow recipient and Leukemia/cancer survivor, now almost 12 years post transplant. His oldest brother was a perfect match and donated in the morning, then was back drinking in the bars by the afternoon (*sigh*).

I also agree with Neve that no one should feel obligated to give anything; I know that Jen asks for nothing more than your positive thoughts!!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mommd Guest

Neve,

That is a great idea. Do you know if you can just go to the Red Cross for this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast