Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Need your expertise and advise regarding carrier for 8 month old

Kristine,
    Please let us know what you think about the Ultra EZ after a little more time. It looks simple, so my question would be about comfort. Does it dig into your shoulder?
    TIA!
    Sunny
    mom to Ellie, 10/28/03

Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used it over our trip last weekend & to me it wasn't any more uncomfortable than carrying my loaded diaper bag over my shoulder. DD seemed to like it a lot & it's easy to get on & off (i.e. security check points in the airports). The only "negative" I guess is that it would "slip" towards my neck a bit while I was walking around...I had it more centered on my shoulder. But I think most carriers of this type do that & it really didn't bother me. All in all, I think it was worth the price. :)
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

I also went from a Bjorn to the Ergo when my DD was about 5 months old. We've been using it since and he's 10 months old now. He loves being in it. We take walks with it and do errands in it. I just vacuumed with him on my back today and he was happy as a chipmunk. It is so easy and really frees up your hands. I found that I liked it better than the hipster ones b/c DD tends to grab things and with him on my hip I can't get as much done. My husband loves the Ergo also.

Carolyn
    Mom to Matthew 7/19/03

Jumping in to ask a question about the Ergo--you can't wear baby facing out in front, can you?
    Thanks!

Lucian and Gabriels Mommy Guest

Hi Carolyn,
    I have used my Ergo about 5 times so far and DS seems very content in it. It is so great to have him on my back and be hands free! I think I may be having some trouble with the fit though. The waistband is pretty uncomfortable for me. I am quite shortwaisted and I just can't seem to get comfy in it. It is more comfortable to wear it lower towards my hips, but then I get quite a bit of lower back pain. In general, I feel like a lot of his weight is on the waistband. I hope this makes sense. I have to say that I did have it on for about 2 hours today and it was a bit better, so maybe I just need to get used to it. Any advice about this would be apprciated. I really want to love it because it is so convenient! I did get on the waiting llist for a Kozy, too. My little guy is such a snuggler I think I'll be holding him for many more months!!
    Thanks~

Thanks for the info!

Sunny

Vajrastorm Guest

No. This was a concern of mine at first, as Aine *loved* facing outward and being a part of the action. She does just fine, however, facing me. She is old enough to turn from side to side, and the Ergo allows them enough room to do that.

In fact, we use the Ergo so much I bought a second one for my DH. I hate having to adjust the straps every day, and we usually both wear it. Can you tell Aine is a held baby LOL?

ritacheetah Guest

Hello, I just thought I'd jump in with my 2 cents about the EZ from One Step Ahead. I got this a few weeks ago because I broke my right wrist and although I can still carry DD with my cast arm (cast is over my elbow), it gets tired after awhile (you use some pretty strange muscles to lift when you can't use your bicep).

This sling is GREAT! It's very easy to get on & off (especially considering my limited movement). It's cotton lined so it's very cool (I live in Florida). It doesn't dig into my shoulder TOO much (DD is only 13.5 lbs.) I could probably add a little more padding and it would be fine. It has a little pocket to fold the sling into and zip up. It also has a little snap for holding a toy or pacifier. I have been using this sling a lot when I need to walk the dog because I have to walk really funny to push a stroller since I can't straighten my arm!

Although I should mention that I am using it on my right side because that is where my cast is and I need my left arm to do stuff. It is made to go on the left side, so if you are a lefty and wear it on the right, the adjustment is on your back, so it takes a little bit of experimentation to get the adjustment right. Or you can get someone to help you.

I love the small size and simple design, and the fact that you can use it until your child is relatively large (like 3 yrs. old, I think?)

The price is great. However, it is a One Step Ahead exclusive, for the amount that that company charges for shipping ($7 on this item), you'd think you'd have the product in a couple days, but it took 9 or 10!

Anyway, that was more like my 20 dollars instead of my 2 cents, but I hope it helps!

Live long and prosper,
    Tracy
    Mom to Victoria, 12/20/03

DebHgn Guest

Default RE: Ordered 2 carriers!

Did you really find the Ergo easy to use as a back carrier? THe instructions sound hard!

I agree with the comment on convenience vs. philosophy of babywearing. I have a 3 month old who doesn't want to be parked and a 3 year old who wants to run all over the place. I need to bring along baby easiest way possible, especially loading and unloading. And chopping vegetables w/ baby in back carry position would be nice, too. I am not clever enough for a sling. I've returned 3. Trying pouch. It is easy enough, but no way as secure as a Bjorn!

ALLEYCAT Guest

I just posted my 2 cents in another spot so this may be a repeat but I love my Ergo. I don't have a problem with the adjustments at all and find the waist belt more comfy than the Bjorn. I bought the terra cotta color which is really pretty and I thought was unisex but it has a little band of girlish ribbon. Nothing major but I could not see it in the picture. I would still have bought it if I had seen it but wanted to let you all know in case you were concerned about the girlishness. (I went with terracota because it was the most color coordinated next to black which I thought would be hot.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast