Default Recommendations for Toddler Carrier

I've tried to stay out of this forum for awhile because I learn about too many new things. LOL But...DS has been insisting on me carrying him everywhere (especially in the grocery store) and I just can't do it with my arms all the time. We do have a KK fleece pouch which is okay, but DS doesn't like being covered up so much. We tried a Baby Trekker, but DS didn't like all the fabric up near his face. DS is 22 months and 24 pounds. He's probably 32 inches tall (not sure about that, though). What would you recommend? I think I would like a front-facing front carry and back carry options (and possibly hip carry, although that's not imperative because I can do that with the KK fleece pouch if I really want to). I know the Ergo supposedly goes up to 60 pounds, but does it really? And, you can't do a front-facing front carry, right? What about the Sutemi? Has anyone carried a 40 pound child with it? Any other options? (I have looked at the Kozy, but am not sure I would like the ties and I don't like the 30-day wait). TIA
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

toomanystrollers Guest

Default RE: Recommendations for Toddler Carrier

I would sign up for the Kozy list - the wait goes fast. My 35 lber, 3 yo begs to ride in the kozy, except it's for his 'lil sister. I can easily haul him around in the kozy too - it's very durable.

I'm very happy with my kozy and use it as a back carrier almost daily.

I don't have specific recommendations but I can say that I would be surprised if you find any front-facing position to be comfortable for you. I found carrying my DS in the Bjorn too much for my back even at 20 lbs. Back carry and hip carry positions are much more comfortable and put less strain on your back and shoulders. The Ergo looks good to be but I haven't tried it yet. I'd be interested to hear if you find something that works for you. I've just been carrying DS in my arms but that's been getting harder as I get bigger :)

Laurel
    Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
    EDD #2 12/25/02

mamaharsh Guest

I have the Ergo for my 32 pound almost 3yo son. I have carried on my back for several long walks recently with no problem. I also carried him on my front (facing inward) for a bit the other day and that worked ok. I can't imagine carrying him forward facing at this point. I think it would kill my back and throw me off balance. I bought the Ergo because I could get it in a couple of days and, procrastinator that I am, I needed it IMMEDIATELY. LOL

I really like the Ergo because I can get Nate up and in and ready to go in a matter of seconds.

HTH,

Sara, mama to Nate