Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Got my hotsling, don't know if I'm wearing it correctly

OK, I feel really dumb, b/c I've used plenty of other slings w/o problems. I got my hotsling yesterday and was so excited (esp when I saw how small it folded up and how light the material is!). Well, my concern is, I think I am wearing it wrong. I ordered the medium, and it feels tight, although I keep hearing other ladies here say their initial thought was that it was too small as well. Also, is the hotsling tag supposed to be facing out or in? I got a black one, so I'm having a hard time telling which side is in and which side is out (it's hem is nice enough on both sides that I think it's hard to tell, esp with the black fabric), and if it wasn't for the leg rail, I would probably be even more confused, but at least I know that when I put on the sling w/o baby, the leg rail should be touching me as the inside layer. Right now, I am wearing it with the tag facing out, right shoulder slinging, and the tag is all the way on the left, it looks kind of funny, so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Also, is the shoulder part supposed to be double layered? I know my mom and me pouch was always double layered on the shoulder, but with my hotsling, it's like some of it is double layered on my shoulder (lower down), some of it is single layered (higher up on my shoulder). I tried to make it double layered throughout the entire shoulder part, but then it didn't feel quite right (kind of tight).

Since Kristin is on maternity leave, I don't want to bother her right now, when I know you guys here are hotsling experts. Hopefully, you can help me with some of my questions. So far I like the sling and it's craftwomanship, but I just need verification as to whether or not I am using it correctly. Thanks ladies!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Default RE: Got my hotsling, don't know if I'm wearing it correctly

I need help, too. I just received mine yesterday. I went to the website today to read the How To instructions and look at pictures, and the site is closed. I feel so uncomfortable in it. Maybe it's too small? Does wearing a sling render your arm that you're wearing it on, pretty much useless? I can move it maybe to elbow level. I know I'm doing it wrong.

To the PP, the tag is supposed to be on the inside, if that helps any. I have the Antoinette and the pattern is only on the outside. My tag is on the inside. Sorry I can't help much since I don't know what I'm doing either.

Priscilla

Hmmm, oh great, I am wearing it inside out! I will have to try it on again with baby when he wakes up from his nap. Thanks for posting.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

This is how I "insert" DS:

Fold the sling in half so the tag is on the inside and the padded leg rail is touching you. The seam should be lined up under your nipple area - this is wear your baby's butt is going to sit so position it correctly. I wear DS on my left hip so the sling sits (folded in half) on my right shoulder. I toss DS over my left shoulder, insert his legs (you'll have to bend them at the knees) and as I lower him in, I open the sling and tuck the padded leg rail up against his knees and slowly "drop" him in the resulting pouch. Make sure the seam is right in the middle of his butt! I pull up/straighten the sling on his back to make sure he's in nice and snug.

The first few times with the hotsling was tricky because DS was squirmy. Now he knows and actually helps me position him.

Good luck!

Sonya, can you use your arm at all? The arm that the sling is on? I'm so confused, but I thought that I would still have full use of my arm wearing it.

Thanks! One problem was that I had the seam too far to the left. You are right, my baby is not cooperative while I try to stick him in either, but hopefully he'll get used to it soon. One more question, is the material double layered at your shoulder and a combo of double and single layered? Mine comes out double layered at the bottom part and single layered at top and I'm not sure if that is, "right" or not.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

laurajaney Guest

I, too, seem to be sling-impaired. I got my padded Hotsling yesterday and haven't gotten the hang of it yet. DS would have nothing to do with it yesterday; today he was content for 5 minutes and then started to kick his way out. Your "insertion instructions" definitely sound helpful. (DS is finally in bed so I'm not going to try it now.)

Question: It sounds like you are describing a hip carry. DS is less than 4 mo old. He has pretty good head control, but I don't think he's ready for a hip carry yet. Any tips on "insertion" in an upright cradle position?

Thanks!
    :-)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You might want to do tummy to tummy - which is basically the same as hip carry except he is in front of you. So the insertion is about the same. I can't imagine a 4 month old being happy in a cradle position - I think that Colin liked the kangaroo position (looking out) at that age, before he graduated to hip carry.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

My right arm is limited in use. It took some getting used to at first. I would lean back on my left side so I can get leverage on my right to pick stuff up. Now I'm handy with my left!

When I wear my hotsling it's double layered (or folded in half) on my shoulder then it kind of twists at my chest then opens up to single where DS sits.

I hope that makes sense. I've attached a picture. Please excuse the mess that is me (I can't believe I'm posting this awful picture!).

See where it kind of twists then opens up to a pouch? The inside rail is the padding.

Hope that helps you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast