Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    laurajaney Guest

Default RE: Got my hotsling, don't know if I'm wearing it correctly

Thanks everyone for all the advice about using my hotsling! We're still practicing. So far, we've had some success with the kangaroo.

How long do you think DS should be comfortable being worn like that? He still seems to prefer the Baby Bjorn, and I have to say, I find it more comfortable as well. I feel like the hotsling puts a lot of weight on my shoulder. DS is 16# 4oz (at 16 weeks -- he's big!). When I put him in kangaroo style, is it correct for him to basically be folded in half? His little toes are inside the sling but they're almost underneath his chin. I feel like if he wasn't comfortable like that, he'd let me know, but what if it's putting some strain on something (ligaments or something) that isn't causing him actual discomfort?

I went back and took a quick look at Kristen's site, but I didn't have DS handy to practice. Her instructions still seem a bit daunting....

lampes Guest

I don't know if this will help, but I put some pictures up of my hotsling and how I insert the baby. Everyone probably does this differently, but this way works for me.

http://lilylpod.com/v-web/gallery/sling

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank you for the pics! BTW, your baby is absolutely darling! :)
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

laurajaney Guest

OK, I'm fuming! Trying not to hyperventilate! I was all set to thank you for the pictures and ready to try the sideways kangaroo. Now, I just discovered that DH put my hotsling in the DRYER last night! He NEVER touches the laundry. I don't even know what possessed him to try to "help!"

It wasn't as if I was feeling very confident about my sling use to start with and now that I fear that it has shrunk, I don't even know what to do! I know how important it is to measure precisely for the hotsling, and shrikage will definitely make a difference, don't you think? (My hotsling is the one with a little bit of stretch.) Yes, DH had the courtesy to dry on "low" but I don't really trust my dryer.

Should I just give up?

I don't know what to tell you, except maybe you should go on the babywear swap forum on yahoo and see if someone who has a hotsling that's too big will trade with you. I'm still undecisive if my hotsling is too small, joshua still seems like he thinks it is too tight in it, and I never put my in the dryer (I would freak too if I were in your shoes) either. I already washed my hotsling on cold twice, so I don't even know if kristin will let me return it for an exchange or not. If not, looks like I may have to trade with someone to get a M/L for my M.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Truska Guest

Don't give up! I'm so sorry though, I can only imagine how frustrated you are!

What size is your Hotsling, first of all? And, have you tired it on with the baby since the 'incident'? Maybe it won't be a really big difference (if any at all)? And, you could always email Kristen...I know she's a little busy right now, but at some point, maybe she'd be able to help you? I know that if I wash something and want to stretch it out a bit before drying it, I'll gently 'stretch' it while it's still damp, and then lay it flat to air dry. I'm not suggesting you do this, it's just something I've noticed with other things...I've *never* tried this with my sling at all, so I don't want to cause any other problems!

I had sizing issues at first, and Kristen was great though! I'm sorry!

lampes Guest

What size do you have? I have a medium and my 6' 2" DH can use it. The baby just sits up quite a bit higher. Make sure that the baby's bottom is directly in the pouch area. I think the sideways kangeroo gives you a little more wiggle room for the legs - but not much. The baby will look all squished up but I swear my baby loves it. As you can see in the first picture, she is sound asleep and falls asleep in the sling all the time in that position (like a little bowling ball). I figure if she was uncomfortable, she would not be able to fall asleep.

I'm not sure if you were posting to me or the other poster, but I have a medium. The reason I think joshua is uncomfortable is that the outer front layer of the pouch seems to be very tight at the back of his neck (hip carry). He has always fallen asleep in all my of my slings, EXCEPT for the hotsling. So, I am thinking maybe I have a sizing issue?
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

laurajaney Guest

Thanks so much for the support over the "dryer incident!" I have calmed down, and even tried Oliver a few more times in the sling. I was so worried he wouldn't fit because of shrinkage! He seems fine, or as fine as he was before D.I. He still doesn't want to be carried for any more that 20 minutes or so.

I think the shrinkage may affected the sling lengthwise. I may be having some discomfort on the shoulder/across the back. What's frustrating is that I don't feel like I was that intimately familiar with the sling before D.I. to accurately assess just how much shrinkage may have occurred. (Oliver is a big spitter-upper so I had to put it in the laundry even tho he didn't log a lot of carrier time.) But the good news is that we're still using it!

Laura-

I'm glad you are using your hotsling. I've gotten better with mine too, but sometimes I still think joshua seems too tight in it, b/c it seems like he breaths heaviliy. BTW, you are so funny, "DI" will now forever mean, "dryer incident" to me, lol! :P
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast