audys Guest

Default Best hip carrier

Advise needed on best hip sling/pouch - I have a DS, 7 month old, 15 pounds who is killing my back in the Bjorn now. He sits up well on his own. He had surgery on his skull for a prematurely closed growth plate and so has a LARGE soft spot - I'm paranoid about dropping him.

In your experience, what is the best hip sling that you'd recommend? I'm short (5'2") and my baby is breastfed. I'm really big on comfort and safety. My husband carries our baby in a Kelty Meadow backpack which is great but large and bulky for me.

Can you bend over with the baby in the sling/pouch or could he possibly fall out?

Thanks for your input!

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

Default RE: Best hip carrier

You can bend over, but you need to support DS with one hand.

Good pouches to consider:

Hotsling: www.hotslings.com
    Zolo adjustable pouch: www.zolowear.com
    WiseWoman adjsutable pouch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

If you want a carrier like the Bjorn, but more supportive and comfy, consider the Baby Trekker: www.babytrekker.com
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

lizamann Guest

Well I know that many people aren't into wraps, but I have to say that the most comfortable hip carry ever is the hip cross carry with a wrap, like this (taken from the Ellaroo.com site):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13030.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13032.jpg

In my opinion, this is so much more comfortable than a pouch or a ring sling that it doesn't even compare. I adore my pouches and ring slings, but am continually amazed whenever I try this one. A good portion of the weight gets redistributed to the hips, which makes it so comfy. It's so secure, too. Baby isn't going anywhere! I find it fairly easy to tie, too - easier than a front or back carry, actually.

Edited to add that this can be a completely hands-free carrier - those moms in the pics are just choosing go cuddle at the moment!

audys Guest

Thank you Tarah and Beth!!

Your suggestions were really helpful - there are so many options. I bought a Wise Woman pouch to try first. Beth, I see that the waist wrap would really help in the hip carry - I'm still thinking of trying some other types also although I'm on the learning curve.

I really appreciate your time and input :)

Audrey, mother to Graham born Feb, 2004

Hi Beth,
    Is that second picture from the Ellaroo site too? I like the look of it.
    Thanks,
    Nicole

lizamann Guest

Yeah, on this page, towards the bottom:

http://ellaroo.com/wraparound-carrier.html

melissavln Guest

I've recently gotten a Mei Hip carrier and am really happy with it. (www.meihipcarrier.com)

My baby is also 7 months and 15 lb, and I'm 5'1", so hopefully you'd have a similar experience.

The Mei Hip had quick turnaround time, lots of fabrics, and is well-made and sturdy. I find it not quite as fast to get into as the Bjorn, but still easy enough to do in a parking lot. I find it very comfortable, and baby is nice and snug in it. My baby really arches her back a lot, and there's no way she could get out of this carrier once I have it snugged up.

Melissa
    mom to Gina, 2/3/04

audys Guest

I'm starting a carrier collection now! Melissa, I ordered a Mei Hip carrier too and the fabric's cut, waiting to be sewn. Should come to me in another week or so. The Wise woman pouch has been surprisingly easy to use so far and is really nice. I also just bought a SlingEzee from a local maternity/breastfeeding supply store they offer lots of teaching about sling use - I guess the Ellaroo's next on my list...

Audrey, mother to Graham