dramamama04 Guest

Default Best Sling for a Newborn

Hi DS is about a week old now and I really want a sling for him. I like the idea of a silk or a different lightweight sling. I kinda want something that is already in sling formation because I won't have a lot of time to do the wraps. DS is about 6lbs. 6 oz. right now but he's 19 1/2 in. He's skinny and long (of course I know he will get bigger). Head support is important to me and I also want to be able to nurse while he in it. Any suggestions? TIA :-)

quikeye Guest

Default RE: Best Sling for a Newborn

Congrats on your new arrival!!!!!! :)

Hi, here's an older post discussing slings & newborns-- links to some of the carriers I'll mention are in it, as well as other babywearing resources...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...5037&mode=full

IMO, the best sling for a newborn is a pouch style or a ring sling; I never liked using the asian baby carriers for my little one when he didn't have head support. Wraps are also supposedly great (never used one, yet), but since you've ruled them out, you probably want either a ring sling or a pouch.

To decide btw them-- take a look @ the differences... There's both the look of the carrier (ring slings have rings, extra fabric; pouches are trimmer to the body but don't have the adjustability of both the rails like a ring sling does-- even though pouches are adjustable & I've found them to be adequate for me), as well as adjustability of each. And of course fabrics/materials.

The body type (over one shoulder, around the body) is pretty much the same for both-- although if you choose a RS, you'll want to read up on "shoulder styles" (will the shoulder of the RS be pleated or not, fanned, etc... if you choose a RS, you may want to find out which ones have what type of shoulder, and do a search in these forums or on another babywearing board about shoulder types)... Some pouches have a "trimmer" shoulder, meaning there is less fabric going over the shoulder cap & onto the top part of your arm-- I prefer the trimmer shoulder of my Mom and Me to the wider shoulder of the KKAFP, but that's just my opinion.

I think that with a ring sling nursing will be more discreet, if not easier as well. (Hypothetically speaking, since I haven't actually used one). A RS will have the extra tail fabric to cover you up, and you'll be able to easily loosen the RS to gain more room for babe to nurse in. I used my mom and me (MnM) for nursing but didn't quite like it-- I found it too difficult to do on a regular basis (I just take him out to nurse discreetly). But, adjusting an adjustable pouch is more difficult than adjustaing a RS-- since the snaps will be in the back. (Except the new adjustable pouch by zolowear.com ... those look cool!) I also tried nursing him in the MnM when he was only 5 weeks old-- I may have more luck now since I don't need to support his head/my breast like I used to.

Head support will be easy in both a RS & a pouch-- a pouch can be offered with "rails" (an extra, thin layer of padding around the edges of the pouch for extra support)-- I often used the rails of my MnM to hold ds' head up when ds was "sitting"/reclining in the pouch but didn't have great head control yet. I don't think RS' have rails, maybe a custom one would. But both will offer more than adequate support for a newborn's floppy head :) up to a hip carry for an older babe.

Both will be easy on-easy/off-easy, both will hold babe high & tight to your chest :) His size probably won't matter with these style of slings; for now, babe will be totally inside a sling & unless he was physically too long to be inside, I don't imagine it would be a problem for any of these.

For "lightweight"-- I'd look @ (Pouches) Hotslings, Chic Papoose, KKACP for cotton slings ... (RS') Zolo, Rev Jan, Maya for cotton/silk slings ... "Silk" may actually be warm unless you find a single layer silk sling (like the nice ones from http://www.oopababy.com -- a recent post was talking about a possible co-op with them); I think both zolo & rev jan's silks are double layered which I imagine to be warmer than cotton. There are also a host of WAHMs who make ring slings, but I don't read about them enough to know of any other than the mfr's I've just referenced (you may find more info on babywearingSWAP or thebabywearer if you're interested in a RS).

Best of luck to you & your new one!!!

ETA: I just read this great article on pouches v. ring slings:
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...sAndSlings.htm

larissal Guest

I agonized over the same question forever last spring before my DD was born. Ans ended up buying the KKACP. It is rather light-weight, and super-easy to use, especially with infants. Loved it!

baby Guest

Wow! There are so many options. I am entering another world here.
    I think the main thing is that I am looking for a user friendly sling. Is there a brand out there thats known to be easy to wear and that people are generally happy with?

There really are so many options with slings that it's hard to name just one. The best slings are made by WAHMs (Work at Home Moms) vs. being sold commercially, say at Amazon. It's also a very individual decision, based on what you like style-wise and feel comfortable with. The best way to choose is to read what others have recommended, go to the websites and look at the slings yourself and make your decision that way.

That being said, I personally think the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (KKAFP) is great for new users and very user-friendly/easy to figure out (I also like that they have a sleeker look to them vs. the ring pouches, since I'm an urban kind of girl). I have bought them for several friends, all of whom felt them easy to use. The main complaint that I've heard is that they can be warm if you live in a warm climate. I use mine 9 months out of the year here in Northern Cal. But since winter is approaching, why not try one and if you love slinging, you can look for another one come summer (Kangaroo Korner also makes a cotton pouch but I don't love it as much as the fleece one). The pouches can be found at www.kangarookorner.com.

ETA: a lot of people have and like the Bjorn carriers (Dads especially seem to like them, if they are into baby wearing), but they don't offer the same closeness that slings do, and baby can only be worn in one upright position (facing in or out).

Let us know what you decide!

Laurel
    Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
    EDD #2 12/24/02