ismommy Guest

Default pockets in slings

I am having Reverend Jan make a ring sling. I am trying to decide if I should have a pocket put in. Do you find them useful or not worth an extra 10 dollars? Thanks so much.
    Helene
    mommy to Isabella
    baby x EDD 1/11/05

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: pockets in slings

I've never used mine. People mention putting car keys or whatever in their sling pocket, but it seems like they would just bang against you then.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

cinrein Guest

I use mine sometimes. I seldom went for a walk in the sling, so it's not like I wasn't already carrying a diaper bag. If you think you will run around without a purse or diaper bag and want a place to stash money, credit cards, or sunglasses, then it's useful.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN Guest

So now to really confuse you...I couldn't live without mine. but keep in mind I am the girl who doesn't carry a diaper bag, has the tinest Brighton purse out there (and have for 3 1/2 years now without changing it out). My pocket on my zolo holds a check book, my ID thrown in it and a debit card...and of course keys if I don't shove them in a pocket.

I would be lost without my pocket...now I would not want it obvious, I like the zolo in that it is not obvious, I think the slings we are ordering thru the co-op had some obvious pockets, and that would not be my pick if I could design it...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
    * EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
    * Adopting siblings in Ukraine 1/05

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

I agree with Neve. I carried my newborn DD#2 everywhere in my homemade ring sling for the first 2 months or so. I actually put in a zippered pocket a few weeks after I had been using it lot when I realized how handy it would be! It is great having the option to be able to leave the house without a bag, especially if you are going out for a short errand just with the newborn. I usually use it to hold my wallet and sunglasses.

Is is worth $10? I think so! I am not a seamstress (so I might be doing it completely wrong), but it was definitely a pain to sew in the zipper myself so I can understand why the price seems high! I would have gladly paid someone who knew what they were doing $10 if I knew what I was getting myself into LOL.

But if you always carry a bag no matter what, then you probably won't use the pocket as much. It really boils down to how much you tend to carry around on a regular basis.

HTH,

cooper Guest

I don't have a rev.jan sling yet (I am getting it in a few days but no pocket--:( ) but I do have a sling from slingsandmore.com and that has a pocket at the end of the tail with a zipper on it and it looks really sharp--I use it for light-weight things like bibs or DS's chew toys. I also have a pocket on my sachi sling http://cherie012.tripod.com/index.html and I use it all the time--The placement is great and when I have my keys in it--it barely weighs my sling down! I even had a waterbottle in there! I HTH.

Jan Andrea Guest

Banging contents kind of depend on where the pocket is. If the pocket is at the end of the tail, and the tail goes below your hips, then yup, the contents will bang on your legs. When I make a sling with a pocket for myself, I put them well above the end of the tail, usually at a point about 8" down from where the tail goes through the rings, so that the pocket hangs at about belly-button level. That portion of the tail doesn't move around as much, so it doesn't bang against me.