Chinamama Guest

Default Walking Rock Hip Baby

Heya folks!

I'm new to this part of the boards, and I happened to take a peek at the Walking Rock Farm site tonight on the suggestion of a friend. The Hip Baby looks really cool, but does anyone know if it's comfy?

We're adopting our first child from China in the spring, and I originally bought a Kelty Kangaroo to use as our carrier. Dont get me wrong - I love it, and it's very comfortable. I tried it with my 20 pound nephew, and he fell right to sleep. However its a little bulky to pack, and the Hip Baby looked like it would be a little more compact, not to mention comfortable in the south China heat of late spring.

Our baby is likely to be about 10-12 months old when we get her - any other suggestions for hip-type carriers too?

Thanks a ton!
    Lori

cooper Guest

Default RE: Walking Rock Hip Baby

Why not a wrap or a mei tei-- I love my cuddly wrap! you can see it here-- http://www.peapodcreations.ca as for the mei tei I vote for a sachi carrier http://cherie012.tripod.com/index.html congrats on your new little one! good luck!

JerseyMom Guest

Or and Ergo carrier:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

I have one and it is the only carrier for this mama with a bad lower back. This carrier puts the babe's weight on your hips, not your back, meaning I can carry my son longer, more comfortably. I used slings and pouches when he was smaller, but this is the only carrier I pack for travelling and expected long sessions of wearing him. It packs very conveniently. I can wear him on my front or my back, though he prefers the back since he can look around more.

And if that isn't enough of a recommendation, every friend I have lent this carrier to has bought one for themself.

Good luck and congratulations!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Tried it and hated it!!! It is also very bulky to haul around - would fit in a stroller basket, but not in a diaper bag. It was very uncomfortable on my neck - dug in horribly - and Colin was probably only about 15lbs when I tried it. I prefer a sling or pouch for a hip carry.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

mollymcmommy Guest

We use the WRF HB with our 10 m/o (~21 lbs), and my dh an I both love it.

I think the trick to not having it dig into you nech is to make sure you have the strap sit as close to your shoulder (away from your neck) as possible.

You might also want to try the Playtex Hip Hammock - it's about 1/2 the price...although it doesn't appear to allow your baby to sit with knees bent and at a higher level than the bum, which the WRF does allow for.

HTH

Andrea

writeleigh Guest

I have the hip baby and absolutely LOVE it! It is so comfortable for me. I tried some others too, but found this worked best for me and DS. The problem with slings/carriers is that I think it depends a lot on how the sling is cut/padded and where it hits your back/shoulders individually. So I think carrier comfort is soooo personal.

lizamann Guest

I second the Ergo, except that you asked for a hip carrier, which the Ergo can't do.

Take a look at this hip carrier, brand new on the market:

http://www.meihipcarrier.com/

I haven't tried it, but it's guaranteed to be more comfortable than the Hip Baby or the Playtex one, because it distributes much of the weight to the hips. And they sure are cute! I know some online friends who seem to love theirs.

nitaghei Guest

ITA with Lori. I've never been in such excruciating pain after using any carrier. Took me over a week to recover from an hour of use - and DS was barely 6 months old, and maybe 13 lbs. I can still carry my son (25 lbs, 20 months) comfortably in my pouch sling for much longer. OTOH - DH loves it - it's *his* carrier.

And it's MUCH bulkier than any of my slings, or even my Kozy.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a cocker and a PWD