Rhonda36 Guest

Default Mom for 2nd time: wants to expand slingin' horizons...

I'm due with baby #2 in 10 short weeks (gasp), and I'm interested in getting one, if not two, new sling/carriers for new baby. Here's my history:

1. Maya ring sling: used a few times, but could never really get the hang of it. Found it very hard to adjust properly -- perhaps I don't know the "trick" to threading it so that it adjusts easily.

2. KKAFP: LOVE LOVE LOVE this one. So simple to use, DS#1 loved it, DH loved it, I loved it. It's a love fest. One teeny little problem is that I never successfully BF in it.

So I'm looking for suggestions to expand my horizons. I haven't ruled out RSs, but I need something easier and more comfy (maybe Rev. Jan's?). I'm very intrigued by the Mamma'sMilk site. The Sachi's look super cool for maybe when the baby gets a little bit older. I defintely want to be able to eventually BF mostly hands free if I can, since I'll be chasing DS#1 around at the same time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

shindagrl Guest

Default RE: Mom for 2nd time: wants to expand slingin' horizons...

Have you thought about a Hotsling? I love mine, especially for quick trips because it's so easy to get her in and out. I was able to breast-feed hands-free in it without any difficulty. Mine is made of stretch twill, and she has beautiful fabrics and is very nice to work with. The main drawback with it is that it isn't adjustable, so you and your husband may not be able to share it. If you have any sizing questions (like if you're in-between sizes), be sure to ask Kristen. If it fits properly, it's a wonderful carrier.

I would also recommend a wrap. You can go to www.mamatoto.com and it tells you how to make one (no sewing required), and there are videos showing you how to tie them. I bought some cotton interlock on clearance and cut it down to Hugabub-esque dimensions, and wound up selling my Moby because my $5 homemade wrap was much more comfortable. I've never breastfed in it, but I've heard it can be done. The great thing about wraps is they are SO secure and comfortable.....you could almost do a handstand wearing one and that kid isn't going anywhere (don't try this at home, folks!). ;)

I can't comment on the ABC's yet......I've got a couple on order and am looking forward to trying them out. If you're going to try the RS route again,I have a Rev. Jan sling; the workmomship is excellent and it's very comfortable, but I've just found I'm more of a wrap/pouch person.

HTH, and have fun trying them out!!!