Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Bunch of newbie questions: pouch vs. sling, sizing, colors

I'm expecting my 1st in January and am interested in slings. My questions are:

1) Is it worthwhile to have both a wrapping-tail sling and a simple pouch sling? Or is that excessive.

2) I have heard that the sizing on pouches can be difficult since they don't adjust. I looked at the New Native website size chart...do you think it is accurate?

3) I find brightly colored slings fun and funky looking, but will I regret having a non-neutral sling?

Thanks!
    Christy

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Bunch of newbie questions: pouch vs. sling, sizing, colors

1. LOL - wrong place to ask about excess. I have both ring slings and adjustable pouches, and use them at different times, depending partially on my mood and where we'll be.

2. This is only true for non-adjustable pouches. Sizing is more forgiving on adjustable pouches. I haven't tried the New Native.

3. I like having a neutral sling, and now have a fun one too. But sometimes my fun one clashes with what I'm wearing, so I go neutral. So it depends on what you usually wear - can you find a fun sling that would match most of your wardrobe?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default RE: Bunch of newbie questions: pouch vs. sling, sizing, colors

1) I think it depend on what you'll be using it for and what positions you like. I went with just a pouch sling, since I like the idea of it better than the ring slings.
    2) New Native runs BIG! I measured to be a Large, but it was HUGE. I then called New Native and asked for help and gave them my measurements and they told me that I'd be in between a Med and Large (which would be wrong, since the Large was too big). Now that I have my hotsling, I think a Med would have been too large, too. As a side note, I like the fabrics from hotslings better... the New Native ones were very ... rough? stiff? thick? something like that. But I also heard that the organic fabrics are softer and have a bit of stretch to it.
    3)I'm dumb. I went with neutral. I'm not a funky colored anything, and I just think that it's so nice to have something that matches everything (which is how my closet looks too).
    Good luck!
    Caroline