Emmas Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What's your favorite backpack type carrier?

I have a 15 month old & I am interested in a backpack type carrier for her. What is your favorite & why? I would like one I *think* that folds up nicely (maybe in a diaper bag if possible) & is relatively inexpensive. Any suggestions?? :)
    ~Kristine
    ~My two angels: Blue-eyed beauty 8/03, Blondie 1/06
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR
    EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES....DO YOUR SELF EXAMS LADIES!!!

pittsburghgirl Guest

Default RE: What's your favorite backpack type carrier?

I have never seen a backpack carrier that folds up. Most of them have aluminum frames for stability. However, I did find this one online:

http://www.childcarriers.com/deuter-kangaroo.shtml

It includes storage so could probably be used in place of diaper bag+ carrier. There are some reviews on the site too.

(We have a Kelty - gift - which is huge and meant for serious hiking so I don't have any IRL experience for you.)

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

I really want something without a frame. The only one I know of is the Ergo. Are there any others out there?
    ~Kristine
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR

pittsburghgirl Guest

You could try a Kozy - there is a waiting list but do a search on it on these boards, people who have them seem to love them.

kozycarrier.com

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

I have heard great reviews about the Ergo. The only negative reviews I have heard about it is if it didn't fit a person's body type and it's not as comfortable as a front carrier. Some people also like the Sutemi, but more as a front carrier than a back carrier. Many people rave about the mei tais like the Kozy. They fit most everyone's body types, they are light and comfortable (made only of fabric), and you can use it in many different positions (see kozycarrier.com instructions). It's also just fabric so you can fold it up and put it in a big diaper bag.

With the Kozy, it says there is over a month wait, but I actually waited about 3 months until I finally had it in hand. There are other makers of mei tais which I have heard positive reviews about and you can get your mei tai sooner:

sachicarriers.com
    babyfairies.com
    doodlebugboutique.com

The only thing I don't like with the mei tais are the straps do drag on the ground when you are tying them on.

Good luck on your search!

HTH,
    Tereasa

Thanks for the info ladies! I'm kind of excited to start searching now & check out what's available on those sites. :)
    ~Kristine
    ~Breast Cancer SURVIVOR

momo5 Guest

I really like my Ellaroo wrap for the back carry. It distributes the baby's weight nicely. I know there is a learning curve to a wrap tho. I have an ABC and the straps hurts my shoulders after awhile. My straps aren't padded tho but I think if they were it would really make a difference.