Default Baby Bjorn vs Car Seat on Airplane

I'm flying down from San Francisco to Los Angeles, 1 hour flight, few days before Christmas. I'm deciding if I should just carry my 7 month old DD in a baby bjorn or should I purchase a separate ticket and lug DD around in a car seat? I know you can also buy a special vest but we have so much baby crap I really don't want to buy another thing plus we don't fly that much! Am I horrible for wanting to just stick DD in a baby bjorn?

TIA!
    K
    DD#1 05/09

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Baby Bjorn vs Car Seat on Airplane

The safest place for your baby, hands down, is in her car seat. You can't use the Bjorn or vest *at all* during take off and landing, and they won't provide a lot of protection during heavy turbulence (baby can still be crushed by your body).

If you bring her car seat, then you can use it at the other end, which is helpful. Her ticket will be half price, too, which is nice.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

pittsburghgirl Guest

Definitely do the car seat if you can afford it, most airlines will do a 1/2 price seat if you have a car seat. When they say lap child, they mean lap, not sling/carrier/vest during takeoff/landing. I never had much luck sitting down with DS in the Bjorn anyway so it would not have been comfortable having him in there during the middle of the flight either. The one time we flew with him as a lap child (at 7 months) he stood up and bounced on our laps the entire time, trying to reach for the hair of the people in front. If I had been alone I would have been exhausted. We have decided that it's worth it to buy the 1/2 price seat no matter how short the flight.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

Hi Katherine,

Assuming you've already lined up a carseat to use once you're in LA, I'd just hold her on your lap since the flight is so short. We just flew from PHX to SFO (2 hr flight) for thanksgiving w/DD who is 8 mos, and DH & I took turns holding her. I nursed her at take off & then let her take some sips of water from a sippy during the descent (she was too busy flirting w/other passengers around to nurse) so that her swallowing would keep the pressure from building up in her ears.

If you nurse to help her ears, you'll have her out of her carseat anyway.

As Lori already mentioned, the Bjorn is great for getting around the airport, but you can't use it on the plane.

HTH,
    Jill
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

Thanks everyone. I spoke to Southwest and no half price ticket for infant with car seat. I know it's stupid! I would go with another airline but their price right now is only $50 after tax so I might just get another seat. DD is crawling so it might be easier to restrain her in a carseat.
    K
    DD#1 05/09

Oooh, I thought of something else...

A bit of unsolicited advice... you might want to bring a sheet or oversized receiving blanket to the airport for your DD to crawl around on before the flight. Before our thanksgiving flight, Abby was dying to crawl around after being in the stroller & sling getting through the airport, security line, etc. So once we got to the gate, we found a relatively uncrowded spot to lay out a big blanket and put some of her smaller toys on it so that she could play a bit before being cooped up on the plane. My DH played w/her there for about 40 min. :) She was still a wiggle worm on our laps on the flight, but I think being able to crawl around before definitely helped her from becoming too frustrated w/the whole experience.

Good luck. I hope it's a tear-free flight!
    Jill
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

Thanks Jill. that's a great idea. DD just started to really crawl last week so I think she will really appreciate some free range time! hehe...wish me luck.

Silly question but do I have to check in the stroller/car seat at the front check in desk with baggage or can I check it once I get on the plane? Southwest couldn't give me an answer. :(

TIA
    Katherine
    K
    DD#1 05/09

quikeye Guest

Last time I flew w/ ds' stroller they gate checked it right before we boarded the plane & it was waiting for us @ the gate when we arrived (we also fly the OAK-SNA/northern to southern CA route, it's nice & short). We flew jetblue, but I think it's the same w. all airlines (that they'll gate-check a stroller if you want them to).

Good to know. That makes my life so much easier!
    K
    DD#1 05/09