ceng Guest

Default help with pouches

I am new to this forum but maybe someone could help me. My DD is 4 1/2 months, 26 inches and 16 lbs. I am 5'2. I always used my bjorn but recently my back and shoulders were getting sore. So, i decided to try a pouch. I went on ebay and ordered a Little Star cotton pouch and a New Native cotton pouch, both in medium. The Little Starr was great but after one washing it shrank and now I think it is too small because I feel like I have to squish my DD in. However, the New Native feels too big and she seems to tip over to one side. So, I always have to hold her, it is not hands free. She basically sits in the carrier facing out. Am I doing something wrong? Are these carriers not high quality? I really had high hopeswhen I ordered these. Any suggestions?

Default RE: help with pouches

I am very new to babywearing, but I had the same experience you did.

Pouches are wonderful if they are a perfect fit. That said, I found it very difficult to get the perfect fit with a pouch. I had to try 3 different sizes before I found the perfect fit. The key is measuring well and also asking the retailer for their opinion based on your body type.

Cotton pouches do shrink so wash in cold and hang to dry.

You might want to try an adjustable pouch until you get a feel for how snug or high you want your pouch to be. I have a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch (kangarookorner.com) which I love. Based on what carry I am doing with my 2 month old and also, what I am wearing (bulkier winter clothes), I find that I do adjust my pouch to have the perfect fit. It does get a little hot inside because it is fleece.

They carry an adustable cotton sling, but I haven't tried that one. There are also some other adjustable cotton slings such as mammasmilk.com. and mayawrap.com

You might be a little nervous to order yet another pouch so I would suggest working with your New Native first. The New Native carriers are known for running on the big side. You bought it on Ebay so you probably can't exchange it. If you know someone who sews, they could possibly make it smaller. You might also try a shoulder flip which will bring your DD in closer to you and possibly hold her snugger.

Sorry, if this is too much info. I just have found the same issues you are having on my baby carrier quest.

P.S. Just want to add that as your DD gets older and heavier, you might also want to look at 2 shoulder carriers which will support her weight better unlike the Bjorn (mei tais, wraps).

HTH,
    Tereasa

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: help with pouches

I had the same problem as you with the New Native and it turns out I'd bought one that was too big for me, even though I had called New Native directly to confirm I was buying the right size. This is a good quality pouch, but like the pp said, pouches won't work unless they're sized correctly. Rather than trying to alter my New Native, I sold it and tried some other pouches. I had great luck with the KKAFP as well as my stretch cotton hotsling. (www.hotslings.com) Kristin at hotslings was very helpful with my sizing questions and I believe she'll even make custom sizes or alterations if necessary.

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find a pouch that works great for you and your little one!
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008