pittsburghgirl Guest

Default Ergo lovers - need some hints

I got an ergo in Nov and have tried it a few times for a back carry. (Not very interested in front carry, I usually use the carrier when I need to be unencumbered.)

I have had a hard time finding it comfortable. I have a bunch of baby weight to lose and I'm very pear-shaped, my bust is still larger than it used to be. I can't seem to find a good position for the waist belt.

My DS is tall (32 in or so) and already 25 lbs. He isn't old enough to help get into the back carry and so far we've just had screaming sessions trying to get him it. I do ok if I sit down with the pouch in front as if I was going to front carry, plop him in, and then twist the whole thing around the back (which is pretty hard, it doesn't slide across clothes well.) Then pull the shoulder straps on. ONce I'm standing up and moving he usually stops screaming. (By now, though I'm sweating buckets so the carrier seems really hot even when it's cold outside.) To get a secure feeling with him in there I felt like I needed the shoulder straps really tight and then they seemed quite uncomfortable. (BTW he is very long-torsoed, my DH was concerned about the pouch coming up high enough.)

I ordered a mei tai and just got it. The first time I tried it in the back carry DS was fine and it wasn't that hard to get on. (Then again he was sitting on the couch, I sat in front of him and pulled him up that way. Not sure how I would do that in the car.) He seemed pretty secure although he wasn't fighting me at all.

I'm a suburban mom and in and out of the car a lot, would LIKE to be able to use the carrier shopping but I'm kind of despairing of getting the Ergo to feel good.

Anyone have ideas for me? Am I wearing the waist belt wrong? Or should I give up, return it and just use the mei tai?

Edited to add: if you use a Kozy, do you know how long the shoulder straps are? My carrier's straps seem *just* long enough so I'd like to compare.)

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

Default RE: Ergo lovers - need some hints

The waist belt should be right above your hip bones, and it should be snug! The sternum strap is a little tougher to position well, I found that it is most comfy right above my breasts, sort of on the upper slopes, as it were. I can get my DS, 28in long, 24lb onto my back in parking lots to use my Kozy. I am getting a used Ergo (had one, sold it, regret selling it) and plan to use that the same. I don't throw him over my shoulder like some videos show, though. I put the carrier waist belt on (tie it, for my Kozy) and let the straps hang around in front of me, on the backseat of the car, if I'm lucky. I put DS on my left hip, and lean over, and push him onto my back like a piggyback ride. I hold his lower back with my left hand, then pick up the right strap, and pull it over my shoulder, which pulls the carrier up over DS's back. I hold that strap between my knees or in my teeth, and grab the left strap, and repeat. Then, pull both straps tightly, bounce a little to settle DS, and tie. The key for me was practicing in front of a mirror at home, and keeping my back parallel to the ground until I have both straps in my hands and the carrier body up. I think this process will be much easier with an Ergo, because the straps are already looped, just get them over your shoulders, and tighten. To get him down, I untie, then sort of scoot him under my left armpit, holding onto his arm and back. We do this for quick errands all the time.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

pixelprincess Guest

Marilee,
    I have been back carrying DS in my Ergo for a few months and LOVE it. He is getting heavier now, so am not sure how long I will be able to keep it up. It took a bit of getting used to, but I can get him on my back pretty much anywhere. Sometimes, I sit him sideways in his car seat and hoist him on my back. I try to get him as high up as possible and adjust the straps.
    I recently got a Kozy and it seems a little easier to get him into it. I find that the seat coverage works better than the Ergo, though the straps seem to loosen some and the pressure on my back is a bit strange. It might just be that I need to get used to it too. I am not sure how long the straps are. They seem a bit too long for me as I have to tie them around a couple of times.

pittsburghgirl Guest

Thanks for the hints. I took my mei tai (made by doodlebugcarriers, seems just like a Kozy but I couldn't wait for one of those) with me last week for holiday travel. I front-carried DS onto the plane with my diaper backpack on my back and carrying his car seat. Worked great. I also back-carried him around my parents house when he got a little fussy, he loved that too. I put him in sitting on the couch and he didn't fuss at all, unlike trying to get him in the Ergo.

So, I think for now I'm returning the Ergo and will try it again later if the mei tai stops working for me. I thought I would hate the straps but I found them WAY more comfortable than the Ergo. I think maybe my hips are just too wide. Even with the waist strap on tight, it dug into my ribcage.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

Thanks for the tips. With DS1, I'd lift him over my back and put into place. It worked, but your suggestion seems much better. I'll try it out this spring.

Thanks!!!