annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone have any experience carrying a preemie???

Hi, I just got my KKAFP which I think that I will eventually really love. However, I tried it out with my ds yesterday (4 1/2 pounds) and he really seems lost in it. I read the information from KK re small babies and I tried putting a blanket under him. It seemed to help a bit, but he does not seem to have enough head and neck support. Does anyone have any experience with carrying a preemie or very small baby??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone have any experience carrying a preemie???

My DD was born at 29 weeks and when she came home she was 4lbs 12 oz. We started with a New Native pouch which had the same head and neck support issues, plus I found that it hurt my shoulder when she got over about 5lbs. We switched to a Moby Wrap which I was very happy with and she loved...being a preemie she wanted to be held all the time and it was a lifesaver.

HTH! Good luck!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Hi Anna, I will be having my baby by next week, and from what we can tell, she's going to be not much over 5lbs....So I'll update you next week! I just got my new pouch in the mail today--a *beautiful* aqua blue KKAFP!

I'll report back later next week hopefully. I used the the KKAFP with my daughter, but I didn't get it until she was about 4 months old--so I'm really looking forward to trying it on this little babe! Good luck in the meantime and congrats on your baby!

caridura Guest

My daughter was little, 5lbs 6oz and I found that I just couldn't get the hang of using my KKACP until she got a little bigger. She also seemed lost in it. She is now 8lbs 9oz and seems much more comfy in the sling.

I wish I had better advice to give you!

annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the feedback. I am just glad to know that I am not doing something wrong. I cannot wait to really use it, it seems so cozy! I have put my ds in it again (with a lot of propping) but he cannot stay in it for long he sinks down too low. Thanks again!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD was just above 5lbs when I started carrying her in my KKAFP. I carried her in the cradle hold with numerous receiving blankets under her head body and neck. In the beginning I think I used 4 blankets to get her in a good position and divided them so that 2 were under her body and 2 were under her head and neck for support.
    A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09