Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    amazz Guest

Default How do I know if I want a wrap or a pouch?

I was looking at thebabywearer.com and have decided it's either going to be the wrap or pouch for me (probably the hug-a-bub or hotsling). Any advice on which would be better from your personal experience?

TIA!
    Angela
    Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
    A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

Default RE: How do I know if I want a wrap or a pouch?

Hi Angela,

Honestly, I think you need both (and more - buying carriers can be addicting LOL). I have a 3 month old, and I love my Hug-a-bub. It is so snuggly and comfortable. You can tie it on and pop the baby in and out. I actually use it more for longer carries because it's more comfortable being a 2 shoulder carrier.

I also love my Hotsling for those times when I don't have the Hug-a-bub on and am using it for a shorter carry. I also use it when I just need to finish up something, but my DS wants to be picked up. I don't use it for long periods because I find 2 shouldered carriers to be more comfortable for me, especially as DS is getting heavier.

HTH,
    Tereasa

amazz Guest

Tereasa--thanks for the input. Let's say you could only choose one (my DH is still a little wierded out that I actually am going to spend money on a thing to wear Kami on my body with). Which would you choose? I mainly want to get it b/c Kami doesn't want to be put down at all these days--not even to swing (she used to love that)!! I need to get some things done around the house, like laundry, etc. I also plan to go to the retreat this year, so I need something that will lend itself to easy airport travel.

Thanks again!!
    Angela

I tried the New Native pouch (same as the hotsling) when my dd was 2mo old, and she hated not being able to move her legs so I had to return it. Now I have a Moby (like Hug-a-bub but 1/3 of the price) and love it and so does my daughter (now 3mo). Well, most of the time, if I am moving or if she is sleeping. But that is far better than anything else (she also hated carriers).

So if you are unsure I think Moby is a great intro. Wraps are a lot bulkier than pouches though. I usually keep mine on and pop my dd in and out as needed, but that is definitely not a chic look. I plan to get a hotsling when she is a bit bigger and use it for hip carry unless I fall for one of those gorgeous woven wraps.

Are there workshops where you live? That's probably the best way to make a decision.

LD

amazz Guest

>Are there workshops where you live? That's probably the best way to make a decision.

Sorry to sound clueless, but what kind of workshop would that be and where would I find out if they have them here?

Angela

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

jumping in here- I also think you need both, but i am truly addicted.(and have a refluxer) soo- if you want to find workshops you may look at baby wearer at the different distributers and often they will let you "come over" or meet you somewhere to try out stuff. I know cotton cradles does this for the hug a bub, not that i could cause i'm not in nebraska, or kansas- dont remember exactly- mommy brain-
    you can also try la leache, that was my 2nd choice when I couldn't figure out how to use the zolo, but ended up finding out someone from kindermusic that knew ring slingin
    HTH

eddited to add- try the yahoo groups that swap- you can get your slings for less and then maybe you can get 2

Hi Angela,

I am really not going to be any help to you. If I had to pick one, I would pick the Hug-a-bub because it is really completely hands-free. I can tuck my DS' head in and bend over while I am doing housework. With the pouch, I have to keep a hand on his head if he is sleeping when I bend over. Also, because it is a 2 shoulder carry, I can carry him for hours on end. He even slept in it for 5 hours once at a party. It does have more of a learning curve than a pouch, but it really isn't difficult.

I've heard that as our kids get bigger, the stretchy wrap won't be ideal anymore because it won't be as supportive with the heavier weight. Then you can sell your Hug-a-bub (has a great resale value) on Ebay or thebabywearer.com and buy a pouch (or woven wrap, mei tai, etc.) if you so desire.

As far as airport travel, I don't recommend a wrap as they usually make you take your baby out of the wrap and take it off.

You may be able to find a babywearer near you that will be able to show you their carriers. It really helps to see them in real life and be able to try them on. There is a forum on babywearer.com called babywearers near you. See if there is anyone in your area or just post where you live and see if anyone is near.

I'm sorry if I have made your decision even more confusing. When I started looking thebabywearer.com, I was planning to only get one carrer, now I have over 10 different kinds and still looking.

Tereasa

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a hotsling pouch and I think it's great. I love it because it's totally versatile and totally convenient. I've carried Claire in it since she was newborn and I used it with my DS from 7 months to 22 months. It goes on easier and quicker than any other baby carrier I've seen. I keep it in my purse or diaper bag so that I can just pull it out when I'm suddenly in a situation where I need it. I wear it at home all the time. I used it for traveling with DS on a couple of occassions. Surprisingly, I was never asked to take him out of the sling at security, but it would have been very simple to do had they asked.

I like my hotsling so much that I've never tried any other kind of sling. I do have a baby bjorn, and I like that too, but I use my sling much, much more often because it is so much more convenient to take on and off. I tend to use my baby bjorn when I'm going out and I know I'm going to have her in the carrier for a long time, or if I know I'm going to need both hands totally free to manage my older DS, or whatever. Most of the time though, I feel like I have enough mobility in my arms with the sling. It's only occassionally that I feel like a pouch sling limits me more than the Baby Bjorn might.

HTH,

I just went to a workshop and thought it was the best thing ever to get a sense of different slings and how both I and my dd like them.

The "downside" is that now I want 3 more (have a Moby, want a hotsling, kozy and a shortish woven wrap), for different situations/uses.

LD

amazz Guest

So what do you think you would use the different carriers for? Just curious. :)

Angela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast