jennifer_r is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Is it too late to start using a sling?

DD is 5 months old and I want to start using a sling. I purchased one awhile ago but have been intimidated. I have a video w/instructions. Is it too late? Will my baby hate it? Any recommendations on how much she should be in one to get used to it? Like 15 minutes at at time or ?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Jennifer

Mom to:
    Christopher 12/29/89
    Adelaide 8/23/04

5 months and counting!

pittsburghgirl Guest

Default RE: Is it too late to start using a sling?

I don't think it's too late; you have it so you may as well try, right? I would try it around the house for a few minutes at a time when she is wanting to be carried. She probably will want to face out (kangaroo carry) instead of being snuggled in, though.

I never managed to try a sling and my DS is now 24 lbs so I'm using other types of carriers. We went from a Bjorn to a Hip Hugger to an ABC and the ABC is by far my favorite. DS likes it too!

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Is it too late to start using a sling?

I started slinging Colin at about 5 months, and really only use the hip carry position. On days when he wants to be held anyways, he is happy in my arms or in the sling (yes, we still use one). On days when he wants to be down moving, he doesn't like the sling or my arms.

IMO, the key to using one is to be moving. Don't worry about a certain amount of time, like 15 minutes. But put her in and go for a walk, go grocery shopping, whatever. The movement and activity will likely keep her happy. Whereas if you put her in it and expect her to stay there while you wash dishes, she may not like it.

What kind of sling do you have? (There are some cruddy ones out there...)
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

jennifer_r is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Is it too late to start using a sling? And sizing question

Thanks for all the advice. I have an Over the Shoulder sling - someone recommended it who uses the sling alot. Will there be a point where she'll be happy if I am NOT moving, such as washing dishes?

Last night I went to Hotsling and OMG some are gorgeous. Am confused about the sizing though because I am a D cup but I am a relatively small person - 5'4" and fit into mostly small tops (but that's because I buy brands that tend to run big such as J.Jill or Lands End). According to the chart I would need something for a tall or full figured person, unless I am reading it incorrectly.

Jennifer

Mom to:
    Christopher 12/29/89
    Adelaide 8/23/04

5 months and counting!

Definately measure yourself. I doubt you need anything bigger than a medium. Kristin, the owner of hotslings is also very helpful with sizing. I am afraid that the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, which is what your sling is, gets mixed reviews. The padding on the edges (rails) and large amount of fabric can be intimidating. Try it out, though, it may work well for you. I'm sure I could use one easily now, after 11 months of slinging, but it might have been harder in the beginning. It may be easier with a bigger kiddo, like your 5mo old, than with a newborn.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

I am 5' 4", 145lbs and DD cup, and got a small Hotsling that fits me just fine. (Now if I could only get my 4-mo old DD to like it...)

I just wanted to mention that you might want to try a woven wrap too. They sound intimidating, but I find that once you've got the wrap cross carry down (and there are sooo many instructions for this you can't miss with a little practice) then all else falls into place. They are great for hip carry and are totally versatile. I personally find them by far the most comfy of everything I have tried (pouches, MTs and wraps; I don't like ring slings so I've never tried those). And oh are they beautiful!

As for me standing in place, my DD is ok with it only if she's asleep, LOL.

LD