aa2mama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Where does Ergo waist strap hit on you?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's tried an Ergo for the back carry. Where does the waist strap hit on your waist & hips? Do you find it comfortable? Where is the majority of the baby's weight carried?

I'm trying to get a comfortable fit with my Ergo. If I strap it where it *feels* like it should go (a few inches below my natural waist just above my hipbones), then it slides down so that the front of the strap is just barely above my hipbones and the back is halfway covering my bottom (sorry!). It's a really weird sensation, not to mention that it's dragging my pants down. I have it adjusted as tight as it can go, so that's pretty much the only way it can be. Is this how it's supposed to fit?
    ~Heidi
    Mama to DS 12/03 & DD 2/07

Default RE: Where does Ergo waist strap hit on you?

Which Ergo do you have? Do you have the newer Ergo with the safety/comfort belt? I have both, and I just don't use the safety/comfort belt when I use the newer Ergo. I am thin-waisted, and I just use the Ergo without threading it through the safety/comfort belt so I can tighten it to the tightest setting. The people at Ergo said I could wear it on my hips for it to fit better, but that just made my pants sag, too. I buckle the waist strap really tight around my waist so the padded back portion is sitting right on my hips. I find that the majority of the weight is carried on my hips, but there is some on my shoulders, too. I have to really tighten the shoulder straps to get a better weight distribution.

If you have an Ergo without the safety/comfort belt and you are tightening it to the tightest setting, then you may be too small to use it. I know they use to do custom orders, but I'm not sure that they are doing that any more.

Tereasa

I'm not positive which Ergo I have, but I think that I have the newer one. I am bypassing the loops when I wear it because the waist strap bunches up if I go through the loops.

I tried the Ergo again today with the waist and shoulder straps both on their tightest settings, but it still feels like the majority of DS's weight is hanging off my shoulders. They start hurting instantly. I'm making sure to bounce DS up when I first strap him in, and he is sitting in the bottom of the pouch part. I really want this carrier to work out, but so far it has been so uncomfortable.
    ~Heidi

Yes, it does sound you like have the newer Ergo.

It sounds like you are using the Ergo as it should be used. Is your son snug up against you even if you have the shoulder straps on their tightest settings? If not, then you may be too small for the Ergo. Give Ergo a call and see if they have any other suggestions for you. I know they have been very helpful when I have called them.

If you are looking into other back carriers, have you tried mei tais or wraps. I use them, too, and think they are wonderful. You can really adjust them to your comfort and liking.

Tereasa

Thanks for writing back again. I will contact Ergo and see if they have any suggestions. At least I'm able to return it if it doesn't work out.

I have a mei tai that I absolutely love for the front carry, but DS is such a wiggleworm that I have a hard time getting him tied in the back carry. I usually lay it on the couch first and sit him on it before strapping it on but he's quite an escape artist. Is there any way to have it partially tied onto me first?

I'm not very familiar with wraps. Which ones can be used for the back carry? How would you say they compare to the mei tai for back carry (learning curve, comfort level, etc)?

Thanks so much!
    ~Heidi

I hope Ergo has some suggestions for you. I'm glad you'll be able to return it if it doesn't work out.

With the MT, I usually use the "toss over your shoulder" method. Check out the "newborn back carry" instructions on http://www.kozycarrier.com. I love this method for using a back carry with a MT.

People prefer woven wraps to stretchy wraps for a back carry. The Ellaroo is a lightweight wrap that can be used in warmer weather. The Storchenweige, Girasol and Didymos are all heavier fabrics which some say are more comfortable for heavier toddlers, but I hear others who use their Ellaroo for their toddlers without problems. You can also find cotton gauze in your fabric store so you can see if you like wraps at a cheaper price. Here's a website with instructions on making one and also some back carry positions that you can use. I think for your wiggly toddler I would probably use the back WCC with chest belt as it secures him on your back early in the tying process.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...yChestBelt.htm

Honestly, I am in love with the wrap right now. Of course, it could be a phase as it is my newest carrier right now.

Tereasa

Thanks for pointing me to the Kozy instructions. I tried a couple of them and oh my goodness, they work so much better than what I was doing!!!

You really have me intrigued with the wraps. I think I may have to head to the fabric store this evening :)
    ~Heidi