Default Carrier for Front Facing Baby?

DS loves to look around so I want to be able to carry him in the front with him facing out. I have a KKAFP but he doesn't seem to like it and I'm going to sell it. (He seems big for it anyway - I don't like keeping his little legs inside the pouch.) Any suggestions for what I can use? DS is almost 5 months, 16 lbs, 26 inches long.

Thanks in advance!
    DS#1: 09/2004
    DS#2: 06/2008

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Carrier for Front Facing Baby?

Before you get rid of your KKAFP, have you tried a hip carry? My DD is almost the same size as your son and she really likes doing the hip carry.

Otherwise you can try a mei tai or a wrap for front facing out, although be aware that there is some disagreement as to whether that position places too much stress on a baby's spine (see thebabywearer.com for more detailed info).
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

My DD is 4-mo old and loves to look out. I find that Kozy (kozycarrier.com) is best for that, since it supports her bottom/upper legs well. There is a question of whether front facing out carries are good for babies, though, as PP said. So I do it w/ my DD when I have to (when she is cranky), but I try to use hip carry instead. I have a Mei Hip, but my DD is still too little for it. I find woven wraps great for hip carry now. (My DD doesn't like pouches, but they are super easy and poppable.)

LD

My DS is 6 months, 20 lbs, 28" and loves the KKAFP. In the hip carry mostly - with his arms out AND with his arms in/covered up over his shoulders - depending on his mood. He also loves the Kangaroo carry - but didn't at first - it took time. But he is inot it now because he can look out and see everything while we are walking.

I also LOVE my Freehand Mei Tai. THis is such a versatile carrier - DS can be worn facing out - but I prefer wearing him tummy to tummy beacuase I don't like the strap tied across his tummy (see pics) But he loves being carried in the mei tai facing out! The mei tai is a little crooked in this picture - and don't mind the spit up all over!
    Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Michelle, those are the cutest pictures! The first one looks familiar - is it your avatar pic over at babywearer?
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Thank for those pics! How are his legs positioned in the KKAFP pic?
    DS#1: 09/2004
    DS#2: 06/2008

That Freehand looks familiar.... and I sold mine to someone named Michelle... hmmmm
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Yes Nancy - it is my avatar! My avatar on BW was the second picture for a while - but I fell in love with the picture of Quinn in his KKAFP and changed it.

:)Michelle
    Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa

Yep! That's me! Or shall I say that was your carrier... :)
    Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa

His legs are in a crossed positioned - like "indian style" but pushed up against his body.

At first - he DID NOT like this. But now that he has started to really get into his feet - constantly bringing them up to his mouth/playing with his feet while lying on his back - he really likes it!

I guess he is more comfortable now being scrunched up. It does look a bit funny though - because you can see his feet bulging through the fabric. I'm sure he would let me know if he was uncomfy (he alwasy does!).

Like I said - we first tried him like this at 5 months - he wasn't happy. But now at 6 months - he's thrilled!

:)Michelle
    Michelle
    Mom to Quinn and Willa