Jenn98 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How do you know what you like unless you buy it?

I've been doing a lot of reading on carriers and it seems that no one really knew what they REALLY liked until they tried it with their baby. So, I guess I'm trying to figure out how not to spend a small fortune on buying every carrier out there! I don't live near a major city, so I'm doubtful there will be any gathering of people who have carriers I can try. My first DC is due the end of July, I'll be on maternity leave for a bit and then return part time. I simply like the idea of wearing my baby and I would like anything that helps with breastfeeding. Any suggestions for a first carrier to try? Should I wait till after the baby is born to buy anything?

TIA
    jenn

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How do you know what you like unless you buy it?

You can check out www.thebabywearer.com to see if there is anyone near you who either gives sling lesson or workshops, or just has a collection - you'd be surprised where you find people!

Or you could pick one or a few candidates and either buy them gently used on a swap board (either at yahoo groups or babywearer) or buy them new and resell anything you don't decide to keep.

The easiest thing to start with is a pouch, but you need to get an exact fit which is difficult when you're pregnant. You might want to try the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Cotton Pouch, which has some flexibility since it is adjustable. Most people rave about the fleece pouch, but if you're due in July that probably won't work for you. :) Tanya at KK is very helpful, you can email her for sizing advice.

You also might want to try a stretchy wrap - newborns really like those. They do have a bit of a learning curve but are very easy when you get the hang of it. The best one is the hug a bub but it is $$, there are several that are not as expensive, including the Moby wrap, I'm not sure what else.

HTH!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

I agree with the PP--get one or two basic slings, then see what happens (the best thing *is* to try them out with your baby, if you can). A pouch works well for an older kid too, so generally a good choice. Mamma's Milk makes adjustable cotton pouches (http://www.mammasmlk.com). I had a Moby and loved it, bought it precisely b/c it was the cheapest of stretchy wraps (then got addicted). Don't know how they resell though. I have seen Hug-a-Bubs on the yahoo swap board, so know you can resell that one. People also like the Cuddly Wrap (say it's the softest). (http://www.cottoncradles.com has both the Moby and the HaB and a good comparison between them)

The good thing about the majority of slings is that they have excellent resale value, so from that point of view they are a good investment.

Oh, and I wouldn't wait until the baby is born, b/c there is often a 2-wk wait to get a sling and you may want something right away. Also, fabrics change over time, so if you see a fabric you really like (say on a pouch) there is no guarantee it will be there once your baby arrives.

HTH,

LD

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

I gotta second the vote for the mommas milk- truely for a hot weather pouch- very comfortable and its got a little stretch in it so the baby fits so nice in there. I also like that its more adjustable than a pouch w/ the snaps which was really helpful when ds was so little. I also wouldn't wait until after the baby arrives since most of the "good" carriers are wahm made and they may not be making the one you want when you want them.
    The Hug a bub was also fabulous when ds was wee little- i dont use it much now since popability is essential right now but when he was colicy it got used alot!!
    Now its alot of pouch wearing and a little mei tai- I'm not quite ready to get rid of the HAB yet though
    I've looked at the solar veil for the summer- but i think i'll wait a little longer for one and try to find one on swap

NYSarah Guest

Jenn --

I agree with the above, the best thing would be to try and find someplace to try a bunch on (I know people have suggested LLL meetings for this!)

But if you can't do that, what I did was buy one carrier before the baby was born to make sure I had something(make sure it's either cheap or something very resellable in case it doesn't work), then after she was a week or two old, I bought a few difference carriers that I could return.

I went through a couple before I found what worked best (my DD is very picky, hated virtually every sling I tried! I kept just one -- my Hotsling -- to use later for a hip carry.) I was out the shipping, but that was better than being stuck with something pricey I never used!