Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pillysuss Guest

Default What's the best backpack carrier?

Hi,

What's the best backpack carrier for day-hikes, urban touring and afternoons at the farmer's market? I am 5'8" and my DH is 6'0" and our DS is 8 months old and we would like a carrier that is comfortable for all three of us, and versatile enough for all kinds of activities. Will I regret it if I get a lighter low-end model suitable for shorter walks or is it better to get one with all the bells and whistles which can stand up to those occasional all-day excursions?

Please let me know what your favorites are and why!

Thanks.

Default RE: What's the best backpack carrier?

I would start by saying different carriers suit differnet people. We started out with the big Kelty with all the bells and whistles and I was the first to object to the fact that it weighs 9 lbs BEFORE you put the kid in! My DH though has done lots of backpacking so he likes it. I then bought a Tough Traveller off Ebay which I like.

However the backpack that both of us use most and that has seen more baby carrying time since we got it 2 months ago than all the others is our ERGO. I love how streamlined it is next to my body- not crashing into doorways or other folks on the subway. My DS who is 7 months LOVES it. Even my DD who is 2 loves it- I just havent' built up the strength to carry her for very long.

I highly recommend the Ergo and even my DH does and that is saying something!
    Betsy

mamaAnn Guest

I'd also suggest the Ergo carrier or the www.Patapum.com (similar to Ergo but a little cheaper). If you want comfort you want to go with a higher quality carrier-they are a good investment that you won't regret it!
    Another option might be a mei tai carrier-a little less structured than the Ergo type carriers but very versatile and comfy-IMO. You canuse these on your front, back and hip. And since they tie they will work for a wide range of heights/weights.
    Here's a few well liked ones:
    www.kozycarrier.com
    www.sachicarriers.com
    www.freehandbaby.com
    www.kolamobaby.com

Good luck
    Ann

pillysuss Guest

Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I actually have a Kozy, and while it works fine for around the house, I find it uncomfortable to wear for more than an hour at a time. Reason is I have to wear my ds in the high back carry because he just isn't happy unless he can peek over my shoulder and see absolutely EVERYTHING that is going on! Even when he is in the high back carry he twists and turns every which way and I eventually get sore from all the tugging.

Anyways, I'm interested in getting something more structured like a frame pack. I'm not sure the Ergo or Patapum will work for us since the child appears to sit quite low and my baby would not stand for this! Any suggestions you have for a good middle of the road frame pack are very welcome.

Thanks.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Kelty backpack frame carriers are great and might work for you. They have a number of different options, and the main differences are whether it has a rainfly, the shoulder and waist strap options, and the size of the storage backpack. They are all good and sturdy with the same frame, and would stand up to an all day excursion. It's also nice because they hold up well and you can find used ones for a good price.

We went to a store and tried the Kelty Meadow (lowest weight, less loaded option at the time), and it would have been great for me. But DH is 6'5" and a big guy, so the waist straps didn't fit him very well. And he's nearly a foot taller than me, so we decided to go with the rapid adjust sizing. So this meant we had to upgrade to the Backcountry.

So I'd really suggest trying them on to see what fits well, just like you would with a regular frame pack.

REI also makes a decent frame backpack carrier, but it didn't fit DH very well.

Good luck!

JLiebCamm Guest

We bought a Kelty Expedition (which is no longer made) afer doing a lot of research on the web. There were great reviews of this one. They pop up on Ebay regularly (which is where we got ours) and the great thing is that most of them have been lightly used at best. And after watching them for a while, I know that they have great resale value. So unless you like to have things brand new, my recommendation would be to buy a used one on Ebay and sell it when you're done.

MrsSchoop Guest

We just used an Evenflo brand from BRU, and it worked great for us! Lightweight, plenty of support for our son, and good padding and back support for both my husband and I (I'm 5'1" and he's 6'). It was easy and quick to adjust for each of us, too. I can't remember what the model name was, but I do know we paid about $70 for it. There were three Evenflo backpack models available and this was the mid-range one in price and features. Our son was big for his age, and we wore him in it all the time from age 4 mos. until nearly 2 years old! We used it for hiking, errands, and I even wore him in it while I cleaned house. He was definitely a "Velcro" kind of baby!

murpheyblue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My office gave me a Kelty that we really like. They're models have changed slightly but ours is probably the equivilent of this one:

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm...=carrier&ID=23

DH and I are both 5'10" and we really like it though DH tends to carry DD when we're hiking.

HeatherW Guest

Just FYI, I am researching this as well...came across great deals on Kelty's at

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

I have purchased once from them- I bought the Deuter Kangakid from them for DH's x-mas present and had to return it- just wasn't comfortable. Great customer service, and free S&H if over 100.00 I think.

HTH

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

From your post asking about the MEC, I deduce that you are in Canada. The MEC isn't not a bad one at all. It's a decent price for a framed backpack with the features it comes with.

Since both you and your dh are tall, the Kelty backpack might work. But they do have different models with different features and functionalities, so you will have to decide how much of a pack you need. Certainly, not the heavy-duty ones that are geared toward die-hard backpackers.

There are also Outbound http://www.outbound.ca/packs/papoosepacks.html
    Tatonka, Deuter, etc. And my favourite is the MacPac http://stores.kiwi-kid.com/Search.bo...CHILD+CARRIERS

Basically, backpack as many things is a very personal item. A pack can fit different people differently and ultimately become a well loved or hated item. My best advice is, if possible, to try them out with your baby in it (or a 20-lbs sack of something) to get as close to real life as possible.

Depend on where you are located, try camping gear stores for their collections of child carriers. There are quite a few in the Toronto area, Calgary and Vancouver with a variety of brands and models. If trying them out in person is not possible, then take your chances with stores that would allow you to return and get your refund.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast