autumngrrl Guest

Default I'm so confused... too many choices... help!

I've read tons of posts about different carrier choices and the more I read, the more confused I get. Egads! Here's the facts and what I'm looking for:

*DS is currently 6 wks old and 10 lbs

*I live in NYC and need a carrier primarily for quick trips to walk the dog or quick trips to the grocery store.

*Something really quick and EASY to put on and put DS in without any help

*A carrier that can be used for at least the next 3-6 months (spring in to summer), but I don't plan to use it forever so something that's best for a newborn / infant.

*Plain and simple, a solid color (no prints), preferably under $50.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and links. S.O.S.!!!
    randi

PS - We already have the Bjorn Active (received as a gift) that DH plans to use, but for my needs it seems too difficult and time-consuming to put on. Plus, he's a full foot taller than me, and I don't want to have to adjust the straps every time I put it on. So it'll be his carrier, and I hope to get my own that I don't have to share!

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I'm so confused... too many choices... help!

Get a hotsling - www.hotslings.com - inexpensive, easy to put on, good for both infant and toddler. HTH!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

I would get a Mei Tai, probably a Kolamo (http://www.kolamobaby.com). It is easy to put on, both you and your DH can use it, and it has a head rest than you can put up and down for when your DS is asleep/awake. You can get it all-khaki (it's a *very* light, totally neutral khaki), e.g. It costs $55.

HTH,

LD

mamaAnn Guest

I'd also suggest a Hotslings pouch-they are so versatile and wonderful for the baby stage-my DS is almost 5 mos and I use mine every day. They are great for the quick errands and in/outs. I love the stretch cotton-just a little bit of give to snug baby just right. And it's not too hot either.
    That said-I also love my Kolamo mei tai. It's great for longer carries if I know he's going to nap a while or if I want to get some work done around the house. It's totally hands free which is so convenient.
    Both can be used into the toddler stage but the mei tai will be more comfortable for long carries as the baby gets heavier.
    Ring slings are also very useful and great when you need some adjustment between mom and dad. The www.wisewomansling.com is a great sling and I like this one alot too.
    Good luck
    Ann

katenyc Guest

Another vote for Hotslings. I am also in NYC, and I use a Hotsling pouch every single day--even if it's only to go down and get the mail. The learning curve is about one minute, which is great! You can use it in a variety of carries as your baby grows...we've evolved from a cradle carry to a kangaroo carry and now use a hip carry.

Just definitely be sure to get sizing help, if necessary. A good fitting pouch will be your best friend, but the wrong size can ruin the experience!

HTH

autumngrrl Guest

thanks so much for everyone's advice. sounds like a hotslings is the way to go. the company is closed for vacation this week, so i cannot get one shipped 'til next week, but i'm looking forward to not shleping the stroller out every time I need to walk our dog.

DH tried the Bjorn today for the first time, and DS initially squirmed, and then 3 minutes later he was out like a light! Gotta love it...

thanks again. :)

tribegirl3 Guest

There is also a link on hotslings.com to some retailers that sell her pouches. You might want to check those out too!

HTH!

autumngrrl Guest

Default sizing

can anyone tell me if it's better to err on the side of buying too big, or too small? I'm at the tail end weight-wise on size 2, but I am also still 20 lbs heavier than pre-pregnancy. The nifty calculator says I can wear either size 2 or 3, but I don't know which one to order.

TIA!

Default RE: sizing

I think it depends on whether you think you would prefer to carry high and tight or lower. Personally, I think it is more comfortable and easier on the back to carry high and tight, but I know others feel "claustrophobic" and like to carry slightly lower.

If I were you, I think I would order a size 2. You're only 6 weeks postpartum, and you'll start losing even more of that post-partum weight.

If you did go ahead and order the size 3, you could always shrink it down one size in the dryer.

Tereasa