Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: need help finding sling for toddler...

My favorite pouch is www.hotslings.com - go for the cotton stretch with padded legrails. If you're not sure about sizing, you can email Kristen, the owner, directly - she's very nice and helpful.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you all! I think after much reading, I'd like to try a Kolamo Mei Tei and a Hotsling. I'd love to get them used, so I think I'll post an ISO thread in the Babywearer group!

Thanks!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_gold_12m.gif , 14 months & counting
    Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

Hotslings you might have some luck with, but slim chance of getting a Kolamo right now...they're in the middle of joining up with Ellaroo so the MT isn't available right now, and they haven't announced when new ones will be coming out, so people who currently have a Kolamo MT are hoarding them like gold! :) I personally like my Doodlebug MT - www.doodlebugcarriers.com - Jennifer is having a sale through the end of the month so they're pretty inexpensive.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

What do you like about the Doodlebug? I'm actually not that set on any particular MT, but I would like some padding around the shoulders and would like the design such that it will be comfortable for long walks, if I need it.

ETA: I just checked out the site and it looks quite reasonably priced. If I don't get any responses on the Kolamo (and from what you say, it's quite probable I won't), I'll definitely consider the Doodlebug. It looks like it has some nice padding anyway. If anyone wants to make any other suggestions for other types of MTs that they love, please let me know!

ETA: Oops! One more question--can I use the MTs to front carry a toddler facing outwards?

Thanks!

Eileen

I like that it has a moderate amount of padding in the straps - I tried one that had too much and it was annoying to me. Also, the straps are not super long so I don't have a lot of extra left over after tying, I dislike when the extra straps are flapping around my legs. And they are machine washable (at least the cotton twill ones are), which is very important as I have a spitter. Plus the body size works well for us - some like the Kozy, which has a very big body, and some like the Happy Cruiser, which has a very narrow, tapered body. I've tried both and come back to the Doodlebug, which is more in-betweenish.

TBH, one of the things I liked best was the low price tag - I feel like I can "abuse" it without feeling guilty b/c it was so much money. I had a gorgeous red brocade one that I sold b/c I never wore it, I was worried too much about DD spitting up on it. With my Doodlebug, I can wear it anywhere, crush it into a little ball, wash it repeatedly, and it still looks good. Of course, this is *my* personal issue, YMMV.

Really, all the MT's by WAHMs are good and each has something to recommend it. I would say get one fairly inexpensively and see if you like the style - once you decide that you can work on which aspects you like and don't like. Good luck!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Default Thanks Nancy! Quick question for MT users!

Wow, Nancy, that was really helpful. Thanks for being so honest. ITA about the price tag. I plan on using this while out and about and DD always likes munching on snacks. I don't want to worry constantly about sticky, messy hands or having to nicely fold it and tuck it in a bag. If I'm running around, chances are I'll grab the sling, stuff it in a bag and use it when ready. It's one of the reasons I got my kissasling--because it was so inexpensive and the fabric is relatively wrinkle free and washes so easily. I definitely want SOME padding, but since I won't know how much until I try, I like the idea of not having to spend an arm and a leg to try one. And of course, I really like the purple stripes with twill fabric. :D

Thanks Nancy--I'll mull over it this weekend, but chances are, I'll order a Doodlebug to try.

Now all I have to do is locate a hotsling that's affordable. :)

ETA: Okay, I have a question for all you MT users. Nancy, I know you love the Doodlebug for the reasons you stated above. Can it be used for a hip carry? I just looked at the Rosie Baby Carriers that some people recommended and one of the holds they show is the hip carry. The price for the Rosie Baby is $35, which is basically the sale price of the Doodlebug. So both look like they would be great options for me. I may still get a hotsling because it's so easy to use for hose quick trips, but being able to use a MT in a hip carry in addition to the other types would give me the option to hold off on the hotsling until I can possibly get one used.

So for all you MT users! Any comments about the Rosie Baby vs. the Doodlebug? Thanks!

Sigh. I never realized this research would be so involved and so engrossing!

Eileen

Default RE: Thanks Nancy! Quick question for MT users!

You can use any MT in a hip carry. There are good directions at www.kozycarriers.com under the instructions link.

I haven't tried a Rosie Baby myself, but I do have a shopping cart cover from there and it is very well made. You probably can't go wrong either way, just a question of which one has fabrics you prefer.

And I've been eyeing the purple stripe myself, just can't convince myself I need another one... :)
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Heh, heh. Thanks. Yeah, I'm really trying to decide right now which fabric I like because I can't see a major difference between the two. I get the feeling I would like either one. Okay, off to peruse fabrics. :)

ETA: have you seen the Deep Pink Leaves on Rosie's site? It's gorgeous!

Eileen

Default yahoo group for used slings!

Its http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/ , Eileen, and there are usually tons of hotslings there, they pop up all the time.

I have a Kozy, and its great with a toddler. I never do front facing out, but I do a modified hip carry that lets him use his hands a fair bit. Forrest likes it.

I have had a hotsling (gave it to a needy friend) and it was wonderful, also. I liked the padded leg rails.

Currently, I use either my Kozy, or a ring sling from Jan Andrea, the link Alexis posted. They are extremely well made and comfy. Way more fabric than a hotsling, though.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

nitaghei Guest

Eileen,

I have a Kozy, if you want to check it out. Also a fleece Hotsling. My cotton Hotsling, Sleeping Baby (Rev. Jan) ring sling and MnM pouch are all lent out right now. But you are welcome to try the two I have around, if you want to see what works!

I highly, highly recommend a mei tai. I still use it occasionally with Neel. And I used the Hotsling forever - until he turned two. One of the best baby gear buys ever.

Nita (wool is my crack)
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast