Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I am looking for another sling now that baby is getting bigger, and need suggestions

Hi, I'm Leia, haven't posted in this forum before. I have two Maya type ring slings that I have been using since dd was smaller. One is a little stretchy and that was great when she was smaller, it held more secure, but I am not really using it now because she is heavy and never stays high enough on me. So I have to keep adjusting that one. The other is better but now she basically stays in the on my hip positiona dn I am afraid the bottom rail is digging into the backs of her thighs so I was thingking maybe and Over the Shoulder Baby Holder would be better since the padding would protect her legs etc.

Can you you still carry a nine month old kangaroo style? Is the padded sling too hot? Any recommendations other the OSBH? Or suggestions for where to try a some of these IRL?
    Thanks,
    Leia
    Eden 9/04

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I am looking for another sling now that baby is getting bigger, and need suggestions

Kangaroo style depends on how big your baby is, not so much their age - if she's more than 15lbs or so you'll both find a hip carry more comfortable than kangaroo. Check out www.hotslings.com for a great pouch - try the stretch cotton with padded leg rails. A lot less material than the OTSBH and cooler for the summer.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

hapahaolegirl Guest

Default RE: I am looking for another sling now that baby is getting bigger, and need suggestions

I have a hotsling and my DD is 9 months old and ~20 lbs. The pouch is great for quick trips but after about half an hour my shoulder starts to hurt. So I invested in a Freehand Mei Tai which I love! I'm also on the Kozy waiting list which is about a 6 week wait right now. I love that my DD weight is distributed on both shoulders and my waist so she seems might lighter and I cant walk around with her without any pain.
    Check out:

http://www.thebabywearer.com

People there in the forums are very knowledgeable and can help you out as well!

GL

Kristen

mommyj_2 Guest

I would also recommend either a Mei Tai or a wrap that goes over both shoulders. If you get a wrap like an Ellaroo or a Dydimos (but not a soft wrap, since they aren't as supportive for older babies), your DD will be able to face outwards, but her legs can hang down. My DS loved this carry when he was that age (and he still likes it at 2 years old).
    You can PM me if you're interested in a coupon code for an Ellaroo wrap.

mamaAnn Guest

Actually I wear my 18lber kangaroo style in my sling and pouch and he likes it fine! He's very long too-he just sits cross legged in there. I wear him on my hip too but he likes the kangaroo facing out most I think.
    I think the OTSBH may be fine for you but it will get a little hotter with the padding and many (including me) have a hard time getting them tight enough with the padding. But if you can try someone's first then you'll know for sure-check your local child resale shops-they always have at least used one around here. They do have sm, med and large so check to be sure you're getting the right size-that'll make a big difference in getting it tight enough too.
    There are other lightly padded slings that may work better w/ less padding so it's not so hot-check out the reviews at www.thebabywearer.com for more ideas
    I agree that my padded leg Hotslings pouch is great though! Love it for hip carries.
    Ann

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Q on kangaroo carry

Ann, do you think that your DS is used to kangaroo carry so doesn't mind the tight fit, or does it just vary from baby to baby? I didn't get my hotsling until DD was about 16lbs or so and she just never liked kangaroo carry...just curious!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

mamaAnn Guest

Default RE: Q on kangaroo carry

Yes, I am sure that he is used to it so that's part of it but it also varies too. He likes the kangaroo carry more in slings now since there's more room. And sometimes I have his but low but his legs hanging over the edge and he likes that too in the pouch.