2kids Guest

Default Will I be lost??!! Please help a shorty!

I tried to read the great topic at the top that introduces all the carriers, but I still don't know what to do.

I'm petite, 5'1" and in the 100s. Will I get lost in a sling? I like the looks of the ones with a ring, but I don't know if that is right for me.

I think I want a sling to carry my newborn and to help to hold the newborn when I'm feeding him or her. My 2 year old is very hands on and I like the idea of hands free to help him.

Is there anyone with a similar situation who can offer advice?

By the way, I've never been a carrier type, and hated the Baby Bjorn with my first. Do you think the sling will even work for me?

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Will I be lost??!! Please help a shorty!

Sounds like you might want to try a pouch (like the Peanut Shell or a Hotsling) and see if you like it...definitely the least amount of material. A ring sling will be more material b/c of the design, but you can get one with a short tail if you don't want to be overwhelmed with the fabric. Depending on your price range www.zolowear.com is very popular, or for more of a budget check out www.sleepingbaby.net. Good luck!

BTW, I'm also petite, 5'1" (though haven't lost all the preggy weight yet) and I have tried/worn almost every kind of carrier...so yes, you can do it, just depends on what you like and find comfortable!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

Java is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'm 5'3", 103lbs and love the hotsling, Kozy, and Ergo. I've also used a ring sling and while it took a while to figure it out, it was quite comfy once I got the hang of it.

Check out www.thebabywearer.com - they have a lot of good information on different slings.

Have fun embarking on this new (and potentially expensive) adventure!

brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am a carrier novice, but thought I'd chime in. I am about 5'2" and have a small frame as well. We have the Bjorn and liked it in the newborn stage. My dh will now wear it with our 6 month old dd.
    I bought a pouch to use when my ds was about 18 months and around 30 lbs. I didn't use it much then, but use my new pouch all the time with my 6 month old. It's so much easier to use than the Bjorn. I've stayed away slings with tails because it seems like too much going on for me. I like the simplicity of a pouch.

SashaBear Guest

I'm still pretty much a novice as well but thought I would answer. I'm 5'0. Before PG I weighed 120 but there's no need to mention my current weight (bedrest does wonders for your weight :) ). I have a wallababy.com sling made of the Solarveil (its a thinner, more breathable material that protects against the sun rays).

I love my sling and don't know what I would do without it. Search wallababy.com and you should find a pic of me with it on. Mine is blue!