Thread: EllaRoo?

cara1 Guest

Default EllaRoo?

DD and I LOVE the Bjorn. Especially FF. She's only 17 lbs (9 mos), but it's getting a bit much for my shoulders on longer walks. I'm looking for something where I can have her face out, or on my hip. A friend suggested EllaRoo. Would this be good for me? I'm worried about how complex it is, how secure it will be, and how hot it will make me with all that fabric. I'm only 5'1", will it drag on the floor?

I'd like to try it out first before shelling out $70, but she doesn't live nearby.

Follow-up question, solid color to "go with everything" or brilliant multicolor?

ETA: Should I just try the Moby instead for 1/2 the cost?

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: EllaRoo?

You can buy different lengths of the ER so it won't necessarily be as long as you're thinking. That being said, a wrap is a lot of material - you might want to try a mei tai first, it's more similar to a bjorn. If you go to www.thebabywearer.com and look on the FSOT board you can usually get a good deal to try one out and see if you like it.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

And don't bother trying the moby at this point - since your DD is already 17 lbs it won't work that well. The moby is a stretchy wrap and once the baby hits 15lbs or so it just gets too pulled out of shape.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

cara1 Guest

Ah, thanks. That's exactly the answer I was looking for on the stretchy wraps.

Amala Guest

If you love the BB, then you might equally love an Ergo or possibly a Mei Tai. Both of these carriers let you do front or back carriers, but the Ergo (or the Patapum perhaps) is a "soft-structured" carrier with buckles somewhat like the BB, and Mei Tais are "Asian style carriers that are softer than Ergos with ties. Each are wonderful in their own ways. But, if you REALLY want DD to face out (which is not always a great position for infants as they grow older), then a Mei Tai would definitely be the way to go over an Ergo.

A woven wrap like an Ellaroo could also be wonderful, but I would start with a Mei Tai first, then add an Ellaroo (or another kind--Gypsy Mama makes wonderful gauze wraps that are affordable).

You can always find used carriers on thebabywearer as well as lots of good reviews and information.

An excellent site for one-stop shopping and information is Attached to Baby!:

http://store.attachedtobaby.com/

Have fun!