Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    amp Guest

Default What's the difference between MNM and KKAFP?

Aside from the fact that Jen is MNM and KKAFP isn't, I mean. Is there a big difference between the pouches, or is it just a matter of which fabric you want and cost (which is very close)? Just curious. I'm leaning toward a KKAFP for the color I want, but I know MNM comes highly recommended too.

Also, I'm assuming it makes sense to order one much closer to when the baby will be here, in case there is a problem w/ sizing or not liking it. Does that seem like the right way to do it, or is there any reason to order one earlier, other than a swap deal or something?

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: What's the difference between MNM and KKAFP?

I know that KK will let you return/exchange within 30 days of giving birth.

I only own a MnM, which I love love love!!! My KK was the cotton one and I hated it, so I'm of no help there!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Laurelsmom2002 Guest

I think the MNM has a more narrow shoulder and allows more arm movement-more like a ring sling movement. I think order when Jen has the color you want if thats who you go with.. I waited-- her son got sick and one couldn't get thm any more-- I did eventually get one from ebay, but I would have rather gotten it from her

amp Guest

I've heard that for me (plus size and short, with a larger chest and big babies) that I would probably be more comfortable w/ a larger shoulder that spreads out the weight better. Do you think the difference between these is negligable enough that it wouldn't make a difference as far as comfort?

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to support Jen, I don't always like her colors, and the KKAFP has more colors to choose from. I don't know if that's the most basic difference and if should just pick based on color, without having any experience with either.

Sorry, just rambling here....

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know what you mean about the colors. KK colors are more soft, muted, common colors. Since Jen hand-dyes here stuff, it's more bright, unique, and "Wow!"

Don't feel bad about not buying one from her. You need to buy what you are going to feel comfortable using!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

amp Guest

That's exactly what I mean! And, I keep eyeing wraps, but I just don't think I'm a tie dye kinda gal. But I do keep checking her pouches. I like the denim one she has right now, but I really didn't want blue w/ this baby. I wanted to go red and I don't think I like the red one she has on her in stock store.

pritchettzoo Guest

Andrea, I'm 3/4 like you (just not short ;)) and I have a MNM. It's working really well with Eli. I think there is plenty of fabric across the shoulder--I can't imagine more. I think it would be restrictive and really bulky. I've only tried a KKAFP once in a parking lot, so it's hard to compare to that. The material is different. The KKAFP is fleece fleece (like polyester fleece) and the MNM is hemp fleece, which isn't anything like poly fleece. It's more like the inside of a heavy sweatshirt--like the expensive jersey sweats, not the cheap fuzzy ones if that makes any sense. I wore Eli in it running errands yesterday and I didn't get too too hot, so it's breathable. I think maybe they're more versatile than fleece, slightly dressier maybe? I know what you mean about the colors. I have an avocado and love it but as much as I think the tie-dyed ones are neat looking, they're definitely NMS. :) I wonder if she would do a custom for you? It couldn't hurt to email her and ask.

I also have a Slingset. They're affiliated with Hotslings. DH is getting lots of use out of it. It's a very stretchy, lightweight material that is comfy and cool. It looks sort of like a basketball jersey with all the little holes but they're much smaller (only tell up close) and the fabric is matte. I mention that because you're wanting red. Their red is really pretty--it's a nice dark red, not a bright hot red but a deep one. The only thing is that it's not adjustable, but they have 8 sizes to choose from. http://www.theslingset.com/ I wanted something similar to a wrap but that didn't make me feel like a whale caught up in a fishing net, which is how I felt in a homemade ABC-type carrier. So I'm trying the slingset. You can order just one pouch though and not the whole set.

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

amp Guest

Anna - Thanks for posting! I had not seen the Slingset pouches and I'm intrigued! Did you buy a pouch w/ a support or what? Did you find their sizing to be accurate, or did you email them for more help on sizing? The price looks nice, and I love the red color. I wouldn't mind fleece for the winter, but if I really enjoy baby wearing, I definitely won't want fleece come summer here in KS! HOT!

Also, I appreciate your extra detail on the difference between the fleeces (KKAFP vs MNM) because I have seen neither IRL and had no idea what the difference was. That description you gave helped immensely! I'm still considering all 3, as baby won't be here for a few more months, but now I have a better idea what I'm looking at.

And I'd love to hear more about what you got from Slingset!
    Thanks!

pritchettzoo Guest

I got the Whole Shebang--two pouches and a support. I did email for more help and she sent me a link to the Hotsling size guide. Because they are affiliated with Hotslings, they use the same sizing. I ordered a 7, but she shipped a 6 saying that customer feedback was telling her that they were stretching up to a size big (but would exchange it if it didn't work). The 6 is a little too small now to use as a pouch pouch, but I figure my boobs will deflate some in a few weeks and hopefully the rest of me will deflate some too ;) (especially on this damned low fat diet although I'm eating sugar crap like it's going out of style so maybe not!). I would check out the size guide and go from there: http://www.hotslings.com/pages/Sizing.php

Anna
    Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

amp Guest

Sorry to keep bugging you Anna, but what made you go with the support portion? I ask because you mentioned wanting a wrap but not w/ all the fabric, but with a pouch, I always thought you wouldn't need a support. I'm wondering if you find it very helpful and whether you've used it without and how it feels different.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast