oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Ergo or Sutemi - which is better

Okay, I have narrowed my search down to either the Ergo or Sutemi but don't really understand the differnces. If you have used either please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Ergo or Sutemi - which is better

We have the "old" Ergo. It is one of our favorite carriers...it is great for DD now that she weighs about 20 lbs or so. I find it comfortable on front and back. Actually the front feels even more weightless than the back. It is quick and easy to put on and off. With just a little practice I am able to take DD on and off my back by myself (like at the park yesterday! ;)). It is good for wearing her for a long period of time. The sleep hood is helpful when she falls asleep, which she did a LOT when we first started using it. We like the appearance of it - we have the coral color - I think it is kind of sporty looking, but I can go for an outdoorsy aesthetic. It is my husband's favorite carrier. It is so-so for breastfeeding in - it is easier to BF in a Mei Tai I think, but I have nursed in the Ergo. The new Ergo can be worn on the hip, but ours can't. I can't say we miss that feature, I think I would just wear a ring-sling or pouch if I wanted the hip carry anyway. I recently ordered the front pouch and backpack accessories for our Ergo, which I think will be nice for taking little things along. We like the Ergo very much and I'd recommend it. Oh - and we're both average sized. I have heard that people who on the extremes size-wise may not like it as much. Don't know anything about the Sutemi.

ETA: Have you considered the Patapum? It is similar to the Ergo.

Default RE: Ergo or Sutemi - which is better

I have 2 Ergos (classic and the generaton before that, don't have the NGE), and I used to have a Sutemi which I sold. The Sutemi felt better in the front carry and the Ergo felt better for the back carry. I never really compared them side to side, but the Sutemi's straps were too wide for me. In the back carry, the Sutemi's straps dragged on the ground when i put my child in. I like how you can wear the Ergo body hanging down from the waist belt, and the straps don't touch the ground.

Hth,
    Tereasa