94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Kangaroo carry in pouch question

I just tried the kangaroo carry for the first time today. I think dd likes it - much better than the cradle carry. My only concern is this: her crossed legs/feet are practically up against her chest. Are they supposed to be in this position? Or are her legs supposed to be lower? There doesn't seem to be enough room for her legs to go down, though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

lunamoth2005 Guest

Default RE: Kangaroo carry in pouch question

dunno, but i have the same problem. i tend to let my 4 month old hang her feet out as if it were a hammock. the fabric comes up under her knees and i cinch it pretty tightly so she is actually sitting in a little "chair". and it is very secure! (btw, i have a nojo babysling)
    so - kangaroo carry but with feet OUT not IN, that's my advice...:) hope this helps!!

sashaa Guest

Kylie
    I have the same problem too carrying my DD - 6 months old in a kangaroo carry position. She has very long legs and her knees are up on her chest. I am afraid that she is too cramped up there. I am not sure if this is the correct position. She doesn't look very comfortable to me.

94bruin is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies. Actually, our pediatrician said that it was okay for her legs to be scrunched up inside the pouch. He said that he sometimes advises parents to have their babies sit in a similar position to strengthen their weak hips.

I also find that if I adjust dd a little, her feet don't come up as high as they did the firs time I tried it. I'm getting better at getting her to sit in a less scrunched up position.

ETA: typo
    DD1 2005
    DD2 2009

jenfed1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Also, if she's not complaining she's probably comfortable! :) I think if she was uncomfortable, she'd let you know. My dd loved the Kanga carry, but I have a hotsling and by 4-5 months old she got a little cramped in there...it got hard to put her in the pouch...now I do tummy to tummy with her legs out and she LOVES it...