Default "pouching" a newborn

I have a 1-mo old, and am new to "pouching". What is the best position? I've tried to get him in ala cradle hold (is that what you call it? as if I was holding him in my arm), but he sinks pretty far down, and then the KKAFP closes in over his face. I'm not sure if that's good enough circulation.

And how do you get the baby out of the pouch?

I'm kind of lost. I understand the directions for the larger babies, but don't see much in the way of how to do it for the younger ones.

Thanks!

Slingin_Momma Guest

Default RE: "pouching" a newborn

These are some great instructions...my little one (born end of August) likes to be semi-upright

http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...oO/Pouches.htm

http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_how_afp.shtml

Here is the semi-upright--its shown with a ring sling but you can use it in a pouch too.

http://www.thebabywearer.com/article.../SRNewborn.htm

tamar948 Guest

I've been using a Peanut Shell pouch since DD was 1 wk old.

We tried cradle carry but she really was very unhappy. The tummy to tummy carry has been great - she is so comfy, falls asleep and everything. (I also thought it was much easier to get her out of the pouch from this position).

I just checked the pamphlet that comes with the KKAFP (we have one of those too). The directions are a pretty good description of how to do this carry.

HTH,
    Tamar

kboyle Guest

I havr a HS cotton stretch pouch and can't hold DS2 in tummy 2 tummy securly, do you feel comfortable holding your DD in t2t? DS is 2 mo.

tamar948 Guest

Hm. Good question.

I'm very comfortable holding DD t2t in the PS - particularly because she seems so content and appears to be pretty secure. She falls asleep forward against my chest. The microfleece is stretchy, but still seems supportive enough to help keep her head close to chest. I try to get the rails high enough to protect her head.

I have been able to complete several tasks while wearing her t2t. I don't feel 100% hands free 100% of the time though: I still use my hands to ensure her security especially
    - to support her head (just in case she decides to look or to wiggle around)
    - when bending, leaning, reaching, etc.

DD is at least 8.5 lbs. I don't know if some of the difference has to do with cotton stretchiness (it might be stretchier than the fleece and therefore not feel as supportive?). I don't have an HS - maybe an HS expert will chime in with a recommendation.

Sorry!
    Tamar

kboyle Guest

Thnks for getting back to me on that. I think I might order one soon. I just had a ped appt and DS is 10lbs 5oz and he can hold his head up pretty well, so I think t2t in a peanut shell is the way to go pretty soon.