shh777 Guest

Default kkacp - scared about baby's breathing

First off, I wanted to take this time to thank everyone for all the information and kindness you have shown through your posts. This is actually my firts post. I have been using the search function to get my information, and you have all helped my wife and I make good choices about what to buy, where, methods, etc...

We got the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Cotton Pouch and was wondering if we could use it with our newborn (two weeks old & 8lbs). When he is in the pouch it seems his chin is pushed down so he may have a hard time breathing. I love the pouch and it feels great, but I'm always worried about his breathing. The website states that the creator use it with her son 24hrs after birth...but that does not put me at ease. Should I wait for him to get older (1 month) or continue using?

Robert

Default RE: kkacp - scared about baby's breathing

I hope someone will chime in with some personal tips, but I was just on the Kangaroo Korner website for another reason and noticed these troubleshooting tips that may help you. Look down towards the bottom of the page. In particular, seh mentions putting a rolled towel or receiving blanket under the baby to get them at a better angle.

http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_how_afp.shtml
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

shh777 Guest

Thanks for the response. I read that too on the website and what I'm going to do is just have the newborn in the pouch when he is awake and not put him in the pouch when he is asleep until he gets older. I'm pretty sure it would be alright either way, but it eases my mind.

HI Robert, I just noticed this post, even though it's a week old at this point. Welcome to the boards and congrats on your first post!

I wanted to say that I think it is perfectly safe to have baby in the KAACP. DD was in ours from day 1. It is so scary with a newborn especially your first, but my understanding and experience is that a baby wouldn't have any trouble breathing unless his airways were obstructed in some way. Infants breath from their noses not their mouths, so his chin being pushed down shouldn't affect his breathing in any way.

Also, if he were having trouble breathing, he would show signs of discomfort and, if asleep, would immediately wake up.

Babies are amazingly flexible and can withstand all sorts of positions that seem terribly uncomfortable to us, but which they in fact love!

It sounds like the pouch is really working for you. That's excellent. I'm sure you will become more comfortable with it over time. :)

Let us know how it's going!

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04