naomik Guest

Default mom-baby exercise

Hi,

I have a 5-mo.-old, 16-ish lb. dd and would like to (finally!) start getting back into shape. With the cold weather here now (I'm in Cleveland OH), I was wondering two things: one, does anybody know of any good mom-baby exercise videos that I could do at home with the baby in a carrier? I know La Leche League has a video called Mambo Moms but it's a DVD and I need a VHS tape. My other question is, what kind of exercise equipment can be safely used with a baby in a carrier? My ds goes to a JCC preschool so I have access to a fitness facility 3 mornings a week.

BTW, I have a gauze wrap which I love. Assuming I have dd tied on securely, is that okay for exercising?

Thanks for any advice,

Naomi (Gabriel 9/8/02, Ida 6/17/05)

kboyle Guest

Default RE: mom-baby exercise

Sorry, a little late on this topic, but I really like The New Method Post-natal Yoga DVD. It's a little out there, but I definately worked up a sweat and both DS's enjoyed doing it with me. You wouldn't be able to put baby in a carrier because she is part of the "work-out". I think that the fitness facility would be able to tell you what equipment you can/can't use. They may have rules about that sort of thing. Walking the track is my only suggestion.

I was doing a search for Cleveland, OH and found this post. I am in Cleveland too, depending on where you are I know of a city fitness center that has a Strollercize class starting in Jan 06.

I've noticed others mention Cleveland lately and figured I'd do a search to see who's out there. It's nice to know that there are some BBBers freezing in Cleveland with me!

PM me if you are interested in the Strollercize class.

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have a friend that I met at a slinging playgroup that told me that she puts her son in a back carry with a wrap on the epliptical machine. I don't think you're going to find anyone that will telll you that it's "safe" to do that, but people do...

tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

kboyle Guest

I would wear DS if I was doing some machines, but I wonder if a facility would LET you wear a child. I'm sure there are no written RULES about it, but because of the safety concern would they actually tell you NO? Most facilities have child care while you work out, I bet they would tell you to take your child there.

OK, so I just called my city's fitness center to see what they would say and the receptionist told me she hasn't seen anyone attempt it yet, but would transfer me to the fitness mgr to see if I would be stopped if I tried. He wasn't in. I'm going to try and call later. Now I want to know.

No input in the wearing baby during exercise, however, I have done Strollercize in NYC for the past 2.5 years with both kids after they were born and it is a FANTASTIC program! I am in better shape and looking better than I did when I got married! Another program which is similar is StrollerStrides. Dont know if that is near you but my cousin does it with her kids and she looks great.
    I know this is the babywearing board, but I have to say, that I could never wear my kid while running or really working out and that was where Strollercize came in- at least they were with me if not attached. (besides, about 6 people I know now have Ergos because of the one I put my little guy in after every class.)
    HTH
    Betsy

bethwl Guest

Also coming in a bit late, but I agree that it's doubtful a health club will allow you to wear your child while exercising. I would wear my child while fitness walking but nothing else really. Not running or weight lifting. The extra weight of the child will make simply walking more exercise than it normally is.