Default I need help from all of you experienced carrier users

I have never posted here before but i know that you smart ladies(and men) can help me. I have used a Bjorn with Avi my dn but he is now 28 lbs and 33 inches at 13 months. I want a alternative to bringing his stroller everywhere. He is walking and would walk everywhere if he was allowed but you sometimes can not wait for a baby to catch up to you or if i am in the mall i want to be sure that he is either in a stroller or in my arms. I do NOT want a back carrier, i want to be able to see him at all times. I would prefer a carrier that goes over both shoulders so not a sling..... what do you recommend?

Thanks so much

Ilana

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: I need help from all of you experienced carrier users

Whoa; 31 lbs! khn"hora! Well, there are a ton of options for a 2 shouldered carry. The most popular are wraps and Mei Tais. Wraps are GREAT, but they're not as easy to learn. So try a Mei Tai or a Mei Tai style carrier. Here are a few that come to mind. All of these are for 2 shoulders (unless you decide to do a hip carry)

These are like Bjorns, but better. These will offer more support than a bjorn and make it easier to carry a heavier toddler:
    Ergo, Sutemi, or Patapum (you can do a google search for these, the Sutemi is available at www.peppermint.com)

Traditional Mei Tai (these are just a few of the many brands out there)
    Catbird Baby (made by Bethwl of these boards), Mei Tai Baby, Freehand Mei TAi, Babyhawk Mei Tai.

From what I understand, all of the above mentioned should fit the bill. It will come down to personal preference. The top three I mentioned are more structured carriers, with buckles (usually). The traditional MTs are just squares of fabric with straps that you tie. Personally, I have found that a structured carrier is a bit easier to learn how to use- but that could just be a personal thing.

let us know!
    You can also visit thebabywearer.com for more ideas. But it depends on how long you feel like researching this......
    Also, on thebabywearer, there is a forum for buying and selling used carriers. You'd be able to find something there used (probably).
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

FYI - I found that by about 30-31lbs, the only comfy way to use a Mei Tai for DS was on my chest, facing inward (which has its own disadvantages). I love the MT but just don't think it is great for a back carry for a heavier kiddo.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I second the Ergo. You can check out this post for a deal:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar..._id=9663&page=

If that is too expensive for your taste, I have heard a lot of good luck with also the Patapum. I haven't tried it, so I can't comment.

Good luck!
    Megulis
    Mother of 2 boys & girl, 9/03, 1/06, & 8/08

sdbc Guest

We love our Patapum!

Does anyone have a picture wearing their sling with a larger/older child?

Thanks so much!

Ilana

bethwl Guest

Here is a pic of me wearing dd in a mei tai just a couple weeks ago. She turned two on August 9, 2005.

http://public.fotki.com/danwarrell/b...overtrees.html