Judegirl Guest

Default Easy-on/easy-off back carrier for toddler?

I'm desperate, and I just don't have the time to check out a half-dozen different back carriers. Does anything exist for carrying a 35-pounder that I can pop on and off, by myself (very short arms)? I need something I can let her out of and put her back into about every 10 minutes, but she's going to seriously hurt herself in my KKAFP. Everything I've looked at seems pretty involved.

Sigh. This is my last attempt to figure this out...if there's nothing like this, I'm afraid my Rory-wearing days are over. :(

Thanks once again,
    Jude

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Easy-on/easy-off back carrier for toddler?

I found a Mei Tai pretty darn easy to get on the back, and I don't consider myself to be very coordinated at all. But YMMV - some people don't find it easy at all.

ETA: I take this back. When DS was 35lbs, I was not comfortable carrying him on my back at all - we used the Mei Tai in a front carry by that point instead. Do you need/want it to be super comfy for a 35lb-er, or can you sacrifice that since she is up and down so much?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Judegirl Guest

No, I don't need it comfy, just healthy for my back, since the hip carry all this time (among other things) has caused me some back trouble. I thought carrying her on my back would be better for me than on my front, which would strain the back muscles more, no?

Thanks Lori!

lissie930 Guest

What about an Ergo? I know people love them and say they're pretty easy to do a back carry with.

- Lissie

Since you need a poppable 2 shouldered carrier, I would suggest an Ergo or a Patapum. I don't find a MT very poppable with the dragging straps. With the Ergo or Patapum, you can leave it on your waist and let the carrier body hang down when your DD isn't in it and it doesn't touch the ground.

It is pretty easy to get a child onto your back. It does take some practice. You can slide her from your hip onto your back or you can flip her over your head onto your back. If she is cooperative, you can just kneel down and she can climb onto your back like a piggy back ride. Then, you just pull the carrier up between her legs and put your arms through the shoulder straps like a backpack.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Once DS got over 30lbs, I was much more comfortable carrying him on my chest than my back. Hands down. In fact, I'd pick hip over back at that weight (in a Mei Tai, at least). On my chest, I could get him snug and close to my center of gravity, and I didn't stand funny to compensate for the weight. I couldn't get him snug enough on my back at that weight, and found myself leaning forward a bit to compensate for it. Ouch.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009