JenDC is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default How to choose a ring sling?

My baby is due any day now, and while I know I want a ring sling for the flexibility over a pouch, I just can't figure out how to choose one! Stretch fabric or not? Type of shoulder? Padding? Help!
    Jen

tkald Guest

Default RE: How to choose a ring sling?

I only own one, the Ellaroo sling, so I really cannot comment on the different types but I do like mine (as far as ring slings go). I do have an open tail on this one which is the only reason I bought it. I can use this tail as an extra cover for her while she is slung and I can use it for a breastfeeding cover. It has taken me about a month of occasional use to get somewhat comfortable with it...not really there yet but trying. I always feel that she is not quite secure enough in the T2T position.

The shoulder pad on mine is very wide, which I believe is the point (spread out=less stress), however, I like it a little more narrow while wearing it. I do not like the restrictive feeling when it is spread down my shoulder.

My material is cotton and I don't know if it is the material or me, but it seems to get all bunched up in the rings. I have not mastered the proper tightening of the sling yet.

Just some things for you to think about.

Tori

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I hav a Maya ring sling that I really love. I've been using a Hotslings pouch the past couple of days, but that's just because I like the fleece since it's been so cold here.

I love the open tail of my Maya too. I love being able to throw my keys and debit card into the pocket and not worry about a purse. I agree with PP about using it as a cover for BFing too. I had a ring sling that was padded originally (I can't remember now what kind it was) and absolutely hated it. I'm kind of small (pretty short) and the padding made it kind of difficult to get comfortable. I traded for a Maya and love it. It's untreated cotton, which I love, and that'll make it nice for the summer months too.

The shoulder isn't padded at all, which I like a lot more too. The padded shoulder was actually more uncomfortable to me than the unpadded, especially since I can jsut unfold the shoulder of mine to make a "cap" and spread out the weight a little.

P.S.: Mine has very little stretch to it, and I went up a size bigger than I normally would (I was right on the edge of small and medium; I went with medium)so that I would have the extra tail.

Good Luck to you!
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

Hi Jen,

stretch fabric is nicer for newborns, but not as supportative once they get heavier. you want a wide shoulder, style doesn't matter much, just need to be wide. lightly padded or unpadded is usually preferred in the BW world. this is because you can adjust individual rails easily, giving you a more custom fit. having said all that, I own a SBP (sleeping baby productions) ring sling, and it's very comfortable (and reasonably priced). the only thing i regret is that i didn't get a fancy fabric one. mine is very neutral (cream color), because i thought DH would be willing to use it. he still reaches for the bjorn, even though he complains that it hurts.

oh, while ring sling/pouch is quick to use, a 2-shouldered carrier (mei tei, wrap) is much more comfortable if you're carrying your baby for a long time...

HTH
    maggie
    ________
    Vaporizer forum
    Last edited by mshen; 02-19-2011 at 07:20 AM.