Default New to Carriers- Need Recommendation

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and I'm due in October. With my 1st 2 I used a Baby Bjorn, but generally only when they were much older... I'd like to do more baby wearing this time and I've started doing some research- it's so overwhelming- there are a million different kinds! Maybe someone could give me few recommendations of where to begin... I know I want something

*easy to put on and take off
    *without a lot of material- I don't want to be totally covered up in a baby carrier.
    *suitable from birth. If I have to switch as the baby gets bigger, that's fine.
    *preferably that I can wear while nursing, but this isn't a deal-breaker for me.

I'm average size, if that matters- sz. 8-10, average height. Any advice? TIA!

Amanda

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: New to Carriers- Need Recommendation

Hi! I am by no means an expert here, but would like to "give back" since so many people have helped me!

I've found that a pouch works really well for me. I've tried lots of carriers and here is my opinion on some:

1. Mei Tai - I had no tolerance for all the straps. Most people love them and I can totally see why, but it was a little too "fussy" for me.

2. Hug-a-Bub or Moby - I had a HAB briefly, but I was preg at the time so I couldn't get it to work so I sold it. I was going to buy another for this baby, but time just got away from me since they're best used up until 15# or so. A Moby is similar to a HAB and a little cheaper.

3. Ergo/Patapum - I had an Ergo but it wasn't comfortable while I was pregnant (can you tell baby #3 was a surprise!?). I just bought a Patapum and am waiting for it to be delivered. I think it will be fine but we'll see.

4. Pouch - Oh dear God - I LOVE pouches! I have a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (that DD is in right now) and I love it. I had a Hotsling but sold it only because someone was looking for one and I want another color/pattern. I think a pouch would seem to work well for you since your needs are similar to mine. They are super easy to take on and off as well as get the baby into; not a lot of material; you can nurse in them (although I didn't nurse so I can't tell you how easy it is).

I hope this helps some. The gals here mentioned thebabywearer.com and the babywearingSWAP group on yahoo and it's been so helpful!! Good luck!

H-
    Heather
    dd 3/98
    ds 8/04
    dd 11/05

Default RE: New to Carriers- Need Recommendation

Hi,

I think the most comfortable for a little baby (and you) is a stretchy wrap (Moby, Hug-a-Bub, Cuddly Wrap). A ring-sling would also work great. Ring slings can have tails of very different lengths. I have a Zolowear one, and the tail is very reasonable (I have a sz 'small', and I am also an 8-10).

Then when they are a little bigger a Mei Tai and a woven wrap.

I haven't tried Ergo/Patapum, and I am personally not a fan of pouches (but most moms are).

The best thing to do, always, is to find local babywearing groups so you can try out different carriers. Both you and your baby will have your own favorites. On thebabywearer.com one board lists local groups, that's a good starting point.