Default Any suggestions for a new baby gift?

I know about five moms of toddlers who are expecting their 2nd. They vary in their experiences with carriers. I would say most are Bjorn users & one has experimented with wraps. Does anyone have suggestions for easy-to-use, comfortable, and affordable baby carriers? Since I will be buying five of them, I'm hoping for <$40 each, but I could go in on it with another person & split the cost, so up to $70-80.
    TIA for any suggestions!
    Andrea
    DS1 '04
    DD '07
    DS2 '09

Default RE: Any suggestions for a new baby gift?

I have had both positive and negative experience w/ giving carriers as presents. Some moms have not used them at all (I am kicking myself for wasting the money), and some have loved them. So I would make sure they are likely to use a non-BBstyle carrier first.

A Mei Tai would be a great gift. They could use it w/ their toddlers as well as the new babies (though probably not quite right away). Plus people think they are similar to BB-type carriers, so they may be more likely to use them.

Edited to say: I also used a Moby first and just loved it. But usually it's not used long (until ~15lbs), and some moms may be intimidated by its length. If it's a fall/winter baby lot of moms love KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch).

animalanne Guest

Moby Wrap all the way! I have used slings and baby bjorn on my DD and without a doubt, the Moby wins for long term use. The slings were nice early on when she would snuggle in them but now she just fidgets. The bjorn never felt right for my back and I didn't like the way she just hung there. The Moby is so comfortable for both me and DD. She can face in or out and I can pull material over tighter if it is cold or windy. You could certainly run after a toddler with your baby safely tucked away and now hands required. While the intial use may seem intimidating, it's really easy to put on and DH can use it as well. I think the cost is about 40$ but I bet you could get a deal if you bought in bulk.

Anne

I loved Moby with my newborn as well. I just want to caution that most of my friends IRL are put off by this "long piece of fabric". So just make sure your friends are willing to learn to use it. Attached to Baby sells it for $35, and you can probably get another discount when you buy FIVE!! :0
    Maggie, mama to DD 10/05 and DS 12/07