mamabelle Guest

Default Help me understand all the different types of slings....

What are the advantages/disadvantages of pouches, ring slings, adjustable, non adjustable, stretchy fabric, not stretcchy, padded, unpadded.

New to slings and need one for my colicky db.

I will not be sharing this with anyone, have a toddler, breastfeed and walk a lot if it makes a difference.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Help me understand all the different types of slings....

Have you read the Babywearing 101 thread posted at the top of this forum? That's where you'll find most of these answers!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Help me understand all the different types of slings....

Pouches are mostly non adjustable and do not have tails or rings! You will most likely want a fabric with a bit of stretch.... ie stretch cotton, fleece. Padded refers to the rail... they put a bit of elastic in one rail so that when you start using your pouch in a hip carry the fabric won't irritate your kiddos legs!

Because pouches (hotsling, peanutshell, luckybaby) are not adjustable you have to measure and try to find the right fit for you. With a ring sling you have infinite adjustablilty but some find it more difficult trying to get it all right. The nice thing about a ring sling is the tail being useful for covering up while breastfeeding.... but some people don't care for the tail and having all the extra fabric.

Other options would be a Mei Tai or a wrap.

I highly suggest going over to the Baby Wearer site and talking with the ladies over there.... they have so much experience and are so helpful! You can also look for a NINO group in your area and see if you can try a few different carriers before you buy!

Good Luck

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05