Default Overwhelmed after initial research & need advice

I've been doing some research here and elsewhere online but can't seem to figure out what might work best for me...

I have been using the Baby Bjorn with my big (no recent weight check but I'm guessing maybe 14-15 lbs) almost 4-month-old. He seems to like being in the Bjorn facing me and sleeps very well in that position most of the time. I also like the fact that it leaves both my arms completely free to care for my 2 y.o., work on the computer, etc.

The only problem is, the Bjorn is KILLING my back. I was all set to buy the Bjorn active carrier with the extra back support but then I had to go and wander onto this board and now I am questioning whether that is really the best option for me.

Here is as much relevant info as I can think of:
    - I'm 5'6", 34C, size 6-8 (hoping to lose that last 5 lbs and be closer to 6 than 8 in the near future)
    - I seem to have a longish torso for my height so I'm not sure how that affects the fit of something like a pouch (which seems like it might be my best alternative option)
    - It's important to me to have both arms completely free while DS is in the carrier (I think I've read that this tends not to be the case with some pouches?)
    - It would be nice to have something that I can continue to use as he gets older/bigger
    - DS seems to like to be carried upright vs. cradled, but I worry that the longer he gets the harder it is going to be to sit down with him in that position.
    - I live in Chicago and it gets HOT here in the summer. I'd like to use this carrier outdoors but don't want either of us to melt.
    - I'm not nursing, so don't need to use the carrier for that.

I've pretty much ruled out ring carriers (looks like way too much fabric for my tastes) and would prefer something that is easy and quick to put on/take off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA...

Default RE: Overwhelmed after initial research & need advice

Sounds like you're looking for a Mei Tai. 2-shouldered, comfy, can be VERY beautiful, completely hands-free. But it is not as quick to put on/take off as the pouch or the ring sling (you have to tie 2 knots). Though IMO, it's not bad in terms of learning curve.

Wrap would be my 2nd choice in terms of comfy level and hands-free-ness. The learning curve is a bit longer, and you might be put off by the amount of fabric. Though once you get the hang of it, you can wear the wrap on you, and just pop the baby in/out as you need.

Pouch is definitely the quickest. But, I never got good at using it (not that I spend that much time in it), so I always guard my baby with one hand (she likes to arch her back and try to escape). I am only comfortable with the pouch when my baby is on my hip. But that's just me. Oh, and if you get a pouch, make sure you get it from someone with a generous return policy. Since fit is the most important thing.

All of these can be used with a toddler, so you can't really go wrong with any of them. Good Luck!

HTH

________
    Wagoneer
    Last edited by mshen; 02-19-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks, I will have to look into Mei Tais more. I think I was initially put off by the fact that they sound harder to use than most types, but as I think about it, tying 2 knots actually sounds a lot easier than fastening the 6 closures involved on the Bjorn...

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you are indeed in Chicago, check out www.catbirdbaby.com - Beth is also in Chicago and would probably be willing to give you a quick tutorial, or you can check out her mei tai at one of her retailers.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

I agree with the MT recommendation. I think an MT is the best combination of comfort and ease of use.

As for the summer, that's a tough one (I am also in Chicago). You put another warm body next to you, and you'll be hot. When we were in really really hot weather last summer I actually had my dd in a stroller. But I would think an MT would be good since the main fabric is just around the baby. There is someone out there who makes solarveil/mesh MT, I now forget who. Solarveil is supposed to be much cooler. (Pouches and ring slings from solarveil are more common though.) I am currently waiting for a SV ring sling to come, anticipating the summer, so I can't tell you my personal experience, but I am sure you can get info on thebabywearer.com.

Well, it's sounding more and more like a Mei Tai is the carrier for me. As for the summer, I probably will put DS in the stroller most of the time when we're outdoors, but I was thinking it would be nice to be able to put him in a carrier when we're at the playground or the zoo so I can chase my toddler around more easily.

What do people do for sun protection for the baby when using a Mei Tai? My ped says no sunscreen until over 6 mos. I can always put a hat on his head to protect his face, but what about the arms & legs that are sticking out? Any suggestions?

The solarveil MT I mentioned actually has a little hood, but I would think a hat would be better than a hood.

For a little baby though, you may want too go with a solarveil ring sling with a decent-size tail. Then you can use the tail to cover the legs. And a rs is a breeze to take on/off.

I don't have much advice, but...I'm ordering a Baby Hawk Mei Tai for MY Jonah this afternoon!!!

How funny - I'll let you know how mine turns out once it arrives (I just got an e-mail from them today that it's going to be delayed due to technical difficulties they were experiencing with their website last week)