Default Best Sling For Up To 25LBS or More?

I'm looking for a sling that I can use on my little boy who weighs 25lbs. There are times where he wont ride in his stroller and wants us to pick him up. I thought some sort of sling or carrier would be good, so we don't put pressure on our backs. I'm looking for one that hold the baby on the hip, or on your back (like piggy back). I looked at the Peanut Shell, but I didn't think it would give much support. Any ideas?

Default RE: Best Sling For Up To 25LBS or More?

We started with a Peanut Shell, which was great for a new baby, but as DD grew bigger, it became less practical for us. Now we have a MeiTai and it is perfect! I wear her on my front and back, haven't tried hip yet but have heard that you can. I agree that a Peanut Shell won't be enough for a 25lb babe. MeiTais are very versatile and can be worn through many different stages. It has a learning curve, but it really doesn't take long. People's mouths drop open when they watch me tie DD onto my back now. :) You can see pictures/instructions about how to tie a MeiTai on at http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html Mine is a different brand, but these instructions are really good. Also, check out http://www.thebabywearer.com if you haven't already - tons of info and helpful people in their forums! HTH!

Allison

Thank you so much Allison for responding, and giving me some great advice. I will take a look at the Mei Tai's. Thanks for the websites too!!!

Christina

Colibribaby.com makes an "extended" version of the Mei Tai (I think it should be called a 'toddler' MT) for kids taller than ~31". It is wonderful for a back carry!

erzzie Guest

Mei tais are great, but you should also consider an Ergo or Patapum carrier. Back carries are best with these carriers, but some people prefer them because they are more structured with buckles instead of ties. They're not as pretty though :)

What about the hiphugger? Is that any good? I haven't seen any reviews on it.

erzzie Guest

www.thebabywearer.com is the most comprehensive site for carrier reviews. Go there, register, then you can read reviews from people who've tried nearly everything :)

I'm pretty sure the Hipdaddy and the Ellaroo Mei Hip are two of the more highly rated hip carriers out there, but most people seem to prefer a pouch for hip carries (since they're more versatile)...which puts you back to the problem that most people find that one shouldered carriers don't hold 25+ pound kids very well unless it's really for a short time.

My suggestion is a soft carrier like Sutemi Pack or Ergo Carrier. They can be used on the hip or on back or front carrying. It's very comfortable and gives tons of support. There is a sale for them coming up at month end.

I would not recommend the Peanut Shell.

I loved using my hip carrier (simular to hip hugger) but I think you'll find your son is tooo heavy for it now. I had to stop using it once my son was over 20lbs except for really short periods of time. Besides the weight, the bigger he got the more he got in the way of my movement.) You'll get much more life out of a carrier that you can wear on your back.

My son is 26lbs and the only carrier that still allows me to carry him comfortably is the ergo. (although, I'm sure a MT would work too, if I owned one.)

hth, Kelly