HarrysMom Guest

Default Baby Bjorn Hurts My Back - Any Suggestions For a Hip/Stylish Alternative Carrier?

For some reason the Baby Bjorn hurts my back whenever I wear it. I have tried it several times. I have a newborn baby (10 lbs 12oz at 4 weeks) and would like to carry her around in a sling and/or a carrier. Any suggestions for someone who is tall w/ a big chest?

Also, looking for something hip and stylish!

Thanks.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Baby Bjorn Hurts My Back - Any Suggestions For a Hip/Stylish Alternative Carrier?

You might want to look at the options on www.thebabywearer.com - what is hip and stylish to you may not be to me, and vice versa! The Bjorn is pretty painful for many of us, so you are not alone on that one.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default RE: Baby Bjorn Hurts My Back - Any Suggestions For a Hip/Stylish Alternative Carrier?

Well, I love a pouch for newborns - especially a KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece pouch) or a stretchy Peanut Shell (their solids have the best stretch). A well-fitting pouch should not hurt.

A wrap is very comfortable and feels almost weightless to wear. Try a hugabub or a moby. I'd say they are less on the hip and stylish side, but as Lori mentioned, that doesn't mean you agree!

Mei tais are also supportive since they are two-shouldered - they come in lots of funky prints and colors so you should be able to find a hip and stylish one for sure. BabyHawk has great prints and colors and can be used from birth. Catbirdbaby has awesome fabrics as well.

HTH!
    Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

PAfirsttimemom Guest

I just spent 1 1/2 hours yesterday with my 17 lb baby in my Bjorn, and boy did I hurt myself! He was so good, though. He loves it. I know I would not have been able to complete my grocery shopping if he was in his carseat. I too welcome suggestions for alternative carriers. DS is coming up on six months old.

Diana
    Mom to Owen 3/13/06

Hi Diana, I started using KKAFP with my son when he was 5.5 months after the Bjorn started hurting me. I used it for hip carry with him and found it very comfortable.

Mei tais are also very comfortable and easy to use. In addition to BabyHawk, which I mentioned above, Sachi carriers, Catbird Baby and Kozy are some other options to try. I personally am lazy and like mei tais with pre-threaded straps, such as the myPouch.

If you prefer a look closer to that of the Bjorn, try an ERGO.

HTH,
    Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

EagerlyAwaitingBaby Guest

I have a newborn too and right now I love our Hotslings (www.hotslings.com). I have one in Blue Paisley (stretch cotton) and another in Zoie (sateen). I wear a hotsling all day long. I have a toddler as well so I really need to have both hands free. My baby falls asleep almost every time I put her in the Hotsling. We also have an Ergo, which replaces our old baby back killer (I mean Bjorn) and it is really nice - great support. I think it's overkill to use at home though - I find the Hotsling more convenient at home. That may change as my baby ages, I don't know. In any case, the Ergo is better for longer periods of use b/c it is a two shoulder carry rather than a 1 shoulder carry.

My son is almost the same age as yours (and I think he's probably around the same weight, too). I stopped using my Bjorn after a couple of months because it started hurting my shoulders so much. I have a Zolo cotton ring sling, but even that started getting uncomfortable in the past month or so. (I think I have really weak shoulder/neck muscles, though.)

Anyways, I purchased an Ergo last week, and I absolutely LOOOOOOVE it! I didn't like the look of a structured carrier very much, but when I put my son in the Ergo for the first time and felt how incredibly comfortable it was, I knew I had to have it right then and there! LOL! I also liked the fact that the buckles could be preset to my size, so I didn't have to tie/untie every time (what can I say, I'm lazy). I took him grocery shopping this afternoon in it, and he was happy as a clam in there. (He used to scream in his infant carseat, so my shopping excursions were previously rushed, hurried trips.) The Ergo is a bit pricey, but I definitely wish I had gotten it sooner.

HTH!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Go for the Ergo! It costs less than the Bjorn and it will last longer. I just wore my daughter, who is 13 months, for 2 days touring Seattle with my in-laws. Sure, I was a bit sore (SO glad to have chiropractic benefits!) but c'mon, this was 2 days in a row and I know I would have been a heck of a lot more in pain with any other carrier.

The Ergo ROCKS!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When DD was a newborn I started out with a Ring sling. There are many brands. So I second the pp to check out thebabywearer.com. There is a product directory where you can look up all the brands of all carriers, and even post a question about a good carrier for someone with your physical characteristics. Now I use a meitai or a wrap when I'm going to wear dd for more than 10 minutes.
    Yup, that bjorn is a back killer for many, me included. Actually for me it was the shoulders. Just couldn't get it comfy.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/