annasmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What color/fabric for Baby Hawk?

To say I am overwhelmed is an understatement.

I have decided that I definitely want to get a mei tai for this next baby, and I really like the looks of the Baby Hawks.

I am trying to find a boyish fabric, but am having a lot of trouble. It doesn't have to be really masuline (that isn't really me), but I don't want it to be entirely pink and frilly (much more me, lol!)

I have always been really bad at this type of thing, so I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. So what fabrics and colors do you own?? And, even if you don't have a boyish fabric, what do you have??? And do you love it???

Thanks!!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

PAfirsttimemom Guest

Default RE: What color/fabric for Baby Hawk?

I don't own one but have been researching different carriers because I need something to replace my Baby Bjorn, which has grown to be uncomfortable as my DS has grown. I like the looks of the Baby Hawk, too. If you really like frilly but also want more masculine, you could consider choosing a solid on one side that reverses to a pretty pattern on the opposite side. Good luck! There are so many great patterns to choose from!

I sent in my own fabric for one side, a red Bob Marley print I found on ebay. On the other side I have aqua calavaras. Straps are denim. I love it!! I also have the zebra batik on black canvas. The canvas straps get really soft and comfy once broken in.

I have a girl but am not into frilly or flowery much.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

HI Eileen, what did you decide? Probably you have since I see you're scheduled for a repeat c/s in just a few days :) But if you are still looking for advice, you might want to try the Choosing and Using Your Asian Back Carrier forum on thebabywearer.com. There are ladies with tons of knowledge and a lot of carriers!

Best of luck with your delivery and new baby!

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

Thanks for reminding me to check there Laurel! I forgot my password so I had to re-register. I did find some good pictures, and LOTS of information, but I am actually still far from deciding on a fabric.

I still really want a Baby Hawk, but none of the fabrics is really doing it for me. I have some time before I think I will really need this carrier - I can use my KKAFP in the meantime while the baby is still really small. Thanks again!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Default I think I have decided!! Just one more question PLEASE!

So, I think I have decided, but I have one more question. I think I want to get the Red Cleo with black straps:

http://babyhawk.com/catalog.php?item...26category%3D2

But, I am wondering whether I should get another fabric to make it reversible. I was thinking of doing the Bonsai fabric on the other side:

http://babyhawk.com/catalog.php?item...3Fcategory%3D5

If I make it reversible, I cannot return it, and as someone who has never used a mei-tai before I really do not know whether this is going to work for us. Also, I could get a minky instead of the second fabric. Does anyone have a minky? How do you like it and do you think it is worth it??

So what do you think??

ETA: Yet another question!! Baby Hawk now offers a head rest:

http://babyhawk.com/catalog.php?item...Fcategory%3D20

I was thinking that this might be a good idea since I plan on using this carrier with the new baby. Does anyone have any experience? Is it worth it?
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Default RE: I think I have decided!! Just one more question PLEASE!

I love the Red Cleo print! The bonsai is nice, too, more neutral for when what you are wearing doesn't go with the Cleo.

It's just a personal preference, but unless you are loving the look of the minky, I'd wait and do that for a second carrier if you really dig the mei tai thing. It just seems like a fabric I wouldn't be into using everyday, but that's just me.

Reversability is always fun, but I also like having a solid carrier that I don't worry about matching with. Although the bonsai is neutral enough that this may not be an issue.

I'd say go with the headrest - definitely great for a newborn and also for when older kids want to sleep.

Bottom line, if you are worried about not loving it and want the option of returning it, just for the one side. Then again, if you aren't worried about losing a few dollars, you can sell it the FSOT board at TBW.

Not sure if I've been any help...

Laurel

gour0 Guest

Default RE: I think I have decided!! Just one more question PLEASE!

I would go reversible with a headrest and if it doesn't work out for you, then sell it. I think minky would be too hot.

Default Thank You!! I ordered!

Thanks for all of your input, it was really helpful!

After first not being able to select any fabric I liked, I had the hardest time deciding between the different fabrics for my reverse side!! Looking at all the great pictures and absolutely beautiful carriers on TBW had my head spinning!

So, I finally decided on black straps with extended headrest, Red Cleo one side, and Fall Fortune Flowers on the other. I cannot wait to get it!!
    Eileen

DD - 6 y.o.
    DS - 4 y.o.
    DS - 2 y.o.
    DD - 8 months

Default RE: Thank You!! I ordered!

Ooh, I like the Fall Fortune, too! I hope you love your carrier, Eileen!

Laurel